Keto Help!

Options
Been steadily (but slowly) losing since starting keto a couple weeks ago but have had a stall just recently. Well I decided not to eat dinner last night- mainly because I had a big lunch and just wasn’t really hungry. Thinking I would be down a few pounds this morning I was almost up 2!!! Ugh so frustrating. Does anyone have any advice/tips to get back to losing?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My advice is to use a tape measure and take pictures. ;)

The scale is not reliable on a day to day basis. You might be losing fat but retaining water for a few days. Give it time. Don't put too much stock in what the scale says.

I cut carbs drastically a while back and the scale went up almost 10 lbs in a month. I was feeling smaller so I ignored it. Mostly. Then, quite quickly I dropped those added pounds and went down a few more. On day 25 or so it looked like I was up 8 or so lbs but by day 40 I was down 4 or 5. Just give it time. If you are eating in a deficit, you are losing fat.
  • ddimar1289
    ddimar1289 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • verybusybee
    verybusybee Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    ddimar1289 wrote: »
    Been steadily (but slowly) losing since starting keto a couple weeks ago but have had a stall just recently. Well I decided not to eat dinner last night- mainly because I had a big lunch and just wasn’t really hungry. Thinking I would be down a few pounds this morning I was almost up 2!!! Ugh so frustrating. Does anyone have any advice/tips to get back to losing?
    How did you decide to get started on Keto? Was it difficult? I am thinking of going either that route or paleo but I have a family at home and I'm not sure I can either cook separate meals or get them to eat keto when we are having family dinners?

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How did you decide to get started on Keto? Was it difficult? I am thinking of going either that route or paleo but I have a family at home and I'm not sure I can either cook separate meals or get them to eat keto when we are having family dinners?

It would seem to me the easiest would be low carb/keto. Make protein/veg for all, and add something else for them when needed.
    Or, for pasta, make a nice pasta with the meat sauce in another pan, and give yourself veggie noodles. Easy peasy.
  • CrystalRose917
    CrystalRose917 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Have you tried intermittent fasting? Don't eat from 6pm until 12pm the next day. Watch the amount of protein you're eating as well.. do a little research on your down time. I feel your pain with the scale.. as much as everyone tells me to not weigh in every day, I do anyway. Its a habit I can't break. Keto is great though.. stick with it. Ive kept off 9lbs so far.. but Im up and down a lot, while sticking to strict Keto. Ive been doing it for about 2 months, so I feel like I shouldve lost more. But at least its steady.. and I dont workout as much as I should.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    There are weight trend apps (Happy Scale, Libra) that show weight loss trends so you don't see random data points as a trend when they aren't.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ToryCarr wrote: »
    I’ve heard when people have a plateau with keto they can start losing again by eliminating dairy.

Only if it helps them cut calories more. Dairy, in and by itself, won't cause a plateau.
  • dustinjbrock
    dustinjbrock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Make sure you recalculate your macros for every 10lb loss

Great advice! And probably often overlooked.... by me at least lol.
  • dustinjbrock
    dustinjbrock Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Alot of the same foods you can make the family, you can turn keto.

Taco night..... Just lose the shell.
    Pizza night..... Just eat toppings
    Hamburger night.... No bun

A flip side, there are loads of keto bread or bun recipes out there that literally take a few minutes to make. You can quickly fry one up and use it for any of the 3 above mentioned and they are high fat.

Make pork chops with a creme mushroom sauce, pure keto heaven.

I ate a steak and Caesar salad for lunch yesterday..... No croutons but everything else is perfect keto.
  • BillyDengel
    BillyDengel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Another thing about Keto is you can't just go by weight. Some have a change in body composition (fat to muscle ratio) and don't lose any weight at all.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Another thing about Keto is you can't just go by weight. Some have a change in body composition (fat to muscle ratio) and don't lose any weight at all.

It is very unlikely to gain muscle in a deficit, especially while keto, especially considering most who follow keto aren't eating higher ranges of protein and considering carbs are muscle sparring (as it inhibits protein degradation), while fats do not. At best, looking at vokey/phinney's work, Keto can be muscle sparring, only if protein levels are higher eat (~1.5-2.2g/kg) and the individual is following a progressive overload lifting program.
  • rosyone1
    rosyone1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

It depends on how the family is used to eating. I haven't found it difficult to prepare keto friendly meats and vegetables for all, plus bread, potatoes, rice, or whatever for those who can have high carbs.