Halp!

Options
iamthemotherofdogs
iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
edited October 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Breakfast is a struggle for me. I have to eat something or I impulse eat EVERYTHING by 11am.

I typically go through a drive through and get whatever and a large diet soda. I'm trying to break that habit. I have started having a high-protein shake first thing, with some kind of fruit, typically a banana. I find that the more protein I start my day with, the better I feel and more likely I am to make better food decisions throughout the remainder.

My question is this-- Does anyone have a favorite protein beverage that is LOW in sugar? Lactose is ok. Low calorie is better but isn't everything.

The past two I've picked up to try have been awful. This morning's has an aftertaste reminiscent of Nyquil. (Barf.)

I'm open to suggestions. Please, and thank you in advance.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Protein beverages would be milk or protein shakes. If you're open for other perspectives, you can find protein in other dairy, including cheese and yogurt, meat, fish, eggs, beans, seeds and nuts. Grains are also moderate sources of protein. How about a ham and cheese sandwich, or a pot of yougurt with nuts, or oatmeal made with milk?
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    Options
    I need something I can eat with one hand, and grab and go. My job has me up early and I don't get a chance to sit and eat anything for breakfast. Sometimes I don't even get a chance to sit down and really eat a lunch. Hence my need for a beverage :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Optimum nutrition has 3 grams of carbs/1 gram of sugar per serving. Fairlife 2% milk has 6 grams of carbs (all sugar) per serving. Mix together for 37 grams of protein.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Most WPIs are low/no sugar, and low/no fat.

Perhaps visit your local supp shop and see if you can get some samples or purchase individual sachets to work out what you like or dislike
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    Options
    Most WPIs are low/no sugar, and low/no fat.

Perhaps visit your local supp shop and see if you can get some samples or purchase individual sachets to work out what you like or dislike

I didn't think about that! And honestly, I feel out of place in those shops cause I definitely don't look like I belong. But not a bad idea at all!
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Shamrock Farms has a shake ("Rockin' Refuel") that is 30 grams of protein.
    Chocolate and vanilla, neither taste bad.

Cheapest is just to buy some decent, inexpensive whey protein (Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey, BodyTech Whey Tech Pro 24) and mix a couple of scoops in a shaker cup with 8 to 12 oz of cold water.

As a woman, that, a multi-vitamin, calcium supplement and maybe and iron supplement will easily get you through to lunch.
    Maybe throw in a slice of whole-wheat cinnamon raisin bread or something so there is a solid in your stomach to ease digestion.

Buy small tubs at first to make sure you can tolerate the flavor, long-term.
    Chocolate is usually safe and vanilla usually mixes well with other flavors and ingredients.

Be a bit selective on what whey protein powders you buy.
    Some have a lot of fillers while others have nitrogen added ("spiking") to artificially inflate the amount of protein listed.
    The quality of your total protein intake (complete amino acid profiles / "whole proteins" / all 9 of the essential amino acids) matter, regardless of what some people with an agenda may try to claim.

If it isn't 100% whey and/or casein protein (i.e. soy protein, pea protein, hemp protein, a "proprietary protein blend" etc. instead) then you are probably wasting your money.
    A very common "bat-and-switch" used in things like "protein bars" is to have all sorts of "soy protein" in them.
    Too much soy may raise estrogen levels in some individuals and that is something few people actually want or need.
    Soy beans are also low in the essential amino acid methionine so relying on soy for protein is problematic at best.

Whey protein is not very expensive but a few extra dollars here or there can mean the difference between a decent protein supplement and a lot of stomach issues for some people.
    Balancing protein quality with price is an exercise left for you.

Google is your friend.
  • kelsiestoner
    kelsiestoner Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I usually just go with a protein granola bar in the morning with my coffee and eat it on the drive to work.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I use EAS whey protein from Target--vanilla--which is acceptable, especially blended into skim milk with half a banana.

Fiber One protein bars are also not terrible, and are acceptable with a banana and cappuccino.

In the spirit of one-handedness,you might also want to consider making your own breakfast sammich--for example, a biscuit piled with deli ham and a slice of American cheese and some hot sauce;you could microwave it, or better yet throw it under the broiler for a couple of minutes if you have the time in the morning before you run out the door. (You might even be able to prepare a fried egg the night before, although this would take some testing.) Then wrap it in some foil or wax paper and it will be just like going through the McD's drive-thru, except fewer calories and higher quality food.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    Options
    I usually just go with a protein granola bar in the morning with my coffee and eat it on the drive to work.

For some reason, the majority of granola bars give me heartburn. #refluxprobs
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    Options
    I use EAS whey protein from Target--vanilla--which is acceptable, especially blended into skim milk with half a banana.

Fiber One protein bars are also not terrible, and are acceptable with a banana and cappuccino.

In the spirit of one-handedness,you might also want to consider making your own breakfast sammich--for example, a biscuit piled with deli ham and a slice of American cheese and some hot sauce;you could microwave it, or better yet throw it under the broiler for a couple of minutes if you have the time in the morning before you run out the door. (You might even be able to prepare a fried egg the night before, although this would take some testing.) Then wrap it in some foil or wax paper and it will be just like going through the McD's drive-thru, except fewer calories and higher quality food.

I definitely want to do some make ahead stuff, when I have time. I'm on Pinterest as we speak browsing for ideas.
  • ilovemyfreckles
    ilovemyfreckles Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I normally grab a Muscle Milk bottle when I need an energy/protein boost. I get the chocolate, pro-series version. 11 oz. - 160 calories - 32g Protein - 7g Carbs - 2g Fat - 1g Sugar. Keeps me full for quite a while
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I really like Raw Protein and Greens by Garden of Life. It's a vegan protein powder with a nice vanilla flavor. I tried it as part of my elimination diet, and it has no funny stuff in it.

My current go-to in the morning is Collagen Peptides. It's going to sound disgusting, but it's made from either cow hide or fish scales. If you mix it with water, it dissolves and then doesn't have a taste. Loads of protein and only the one ingredient. I tend to mix with a little water and then stir into my vegetable/fruit smoothie (it foams if you put it in the blender).

My new favorite thing is Rx Bars! The Chocolate Sea Salt is delightful, and again, no funny ingredients! I have one of those as my morning snack.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Try making the eggs in a muffin tin and freezing them, you can add cheese, bacon or ham and a few vegetables. - take one or two out the night before and defrost in fridge - microwave for 30 seconds.

Going through the drive through probably takes 5 minutes right? Maybe not always, but at peak times, it seems like there's always a long line. Why not eat at home? Just asking, not being snarky. Set the alarm for 5 minutes earlier than normal.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    Options
    I normally grab a Muscle Milk bottle when I need an energy/protein boost. I get the chocolate, pro-series version. 11 oz. - 160 calories - 32g Protein - 7g Carbs - 2g Fat - 1g Sugar. Keeps me full for quite a while

I love these! But for some reason nobody around here is stocking them. :(
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    Options
    I really like Raw Protein and Greens by Garden of Life. It's a vegan protein powder with a nice vanilla flavor. I tried it as part of my elimination diet, and it has no funny stuff in it.

My current go-to in the morning is Collagen Peptides. It's going to sound disgusting, but it's made from either cow hide or fish scales. If you mix it with water, it dissolves and then doesn't have a taste. Loads of protein and only the one ingredient. I tend to mix with a little water and then stir into my vegetable/fruit smoothie (it foams if you put it in the blender).

My new favorite thing is Rx Bars! The Chocolate Sea Salt is delightful, and again, no funny ingredients! I have one of those as my morning snack.

I'm both intrigued and slightly put off, haha. I'll look into it.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    Options
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    Try making the eggs in a muffin tin and freezing them, you can add cheese, bacon or ham and a few vegetables. - take one or two out the night before and defrost in fridge - microwave for 30 seconds.

Going through the drive through probably takes 5 minutes right? Maybe not always, but at peak times, it seems like there's always a long line. Why not eat at home? Just asking, not being snarky. Set the alarm for 5 minutes earlier than normal.

I go through the drive through because I've been battling pretty wicked depression and putting into effort into getting up earlier than I absolutely have to and doing things exhausts me to think about most days. It's another thing I'm working on. :)
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I most of the time need something more substantial than a shake in the mornings, but on days when I am in a hurry to get out the door I do keep a couple of packs of Met-RX RTD-51 shakes around. I have attached a nutritional label from one of the cans below for reference. I get them from GNC, but since supplement stores freak you out I am pretty sure Walmart and Target type places sell them also, as well as online. They are the most tasty of the meal replacement shakes I have tried, though not the cheapest by any stretch. Cookies and Cream and Peanut Butter Cup are my primary go-to flavors. They also pack a hefty protein punch, if that is your jam.

2hb3ko1ukrif.png

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    "Muscle Milk" was one of the top offenders for listing inflated protein numbers on the label.
    I seem to recall there was a class action lawsuit pending.

[Found a listing] http://www.legalreader.com/muscle-milk-class-action-lawsuit/
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    I most of the time need something more substantial than a shake in the mornings, but on days when I am in a hurry to get out the door I do keep a couple of packs of Met-RX RTD-51 shakes around. I have attached a nutritional label from one of the cans below for reference. I get them from GNC, but since supplement stores freak you out I am pretty sure Walmart and Target type places sell them also, as well as online. They are the most tasty of the meal replacement shakes I have tried, though not the cheapest by any stretch. Cookies and Cream and Peanut Butter Cup are my primary go-to flavors. They also pack a hefty protein punch, if that is your jam.

2hb3ko1ukrif.png

Very helpful, I'll put in on the list!
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    "Muscle Milk" was one of the top offenders for listing inflated protein numbers on the label.
    I seem to recall there was a class action lawsuit pending.

[Found a listing] http://www.legalreader.com/muscle-milk-class-action-lawsuit/

NOOOO, say it ain't so.