Running when still fat?

Options
2»

Replies

• ValiRaeDee
    ValiRaeDee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is a great discussion!

I, too, have an interest in running but I've been experiencing some knee pain. My husband, who's been running for years, took a look at my stride and determined I was over pronating my feet. He got me some new shoes with serious insoles that have corrected the problem. I've still been having some irritation in my left knee, so I added in knee supports on the advice of one of my doctors. I also do some very targeted stretching before I run to try to mitigate problems.

I'm not quite there yet, not quite a runner. I'm not obese anymore (hooray!), but merely overweight and still working toward my normal weight. I like the racewalking idea (I just spent about 45 minutes down that particular rabbit hole, and now I'm fascinated!), but perhaps doing other cardio until a lighter weight is achieved might be the best advice for all of us would-be runners.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this - there's a lot of good stuff here!
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hurting like hell (especially in your joints) is your body's way of telling you to stop. You may be doing some serious damage. And yes you can do more damage. I would definitely ask your doctor about running and stick with lower impact exercises, until you lose enough weight so there is no joint pain. Take it from someone who used to love running and can no longer do so because I was a stubborn knuckle head who pushed through knee pain all the time.