Winded during simple workout

Options
concetta1123
concetta1123 Posts: 28 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm 5'3 and 126lbs, I'm skinny fat so I've been maintaining my weight and today I've begun to lift. I did a fitness blender arm routine that was 25 minutes but midway through I had to use 2lb weights. I was totally winded and sore, it's embarrassing! I'm worried that a short routine and small weights won't yield any results. Especially since I'm hoping to shed some fat while doing this.

Should I up the weights or do the routine longer? I'm planning on doing it maybe 2-3 days a week. Any recommendations? Thank you!

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

lifting heavy is relative - but most of the time when it's talked about on here it involves lower sets and reps with higher weights, fitness blender is more low weight high rep. check out the link above for some great guidance.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people that use heavy weights but couldn't do a simple overhead press without any weight 200 times without stopping to rest.

Strength and endurance are related, but they are not the same thing.

For functional strength, it's recommended that you do both a high number of reps with what you can manage and a high amount of weights as often as you can manage. There are body building strategies to optimize when you should do the other. I think it depends on what's more important to you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and 126lbs, I'm skinny fat so I've been maintaining my weight and today I've begun to lift. I did a fitness blender arm routine that was 25 minutes but midway through I had to use 2lb weights. I was totally winded and sore, it's embarrassing! I'm worried that a short routine and small weights won't yield any results. Especially since I'm hoping to shed some fat while doing this.

Should I up the weights or do the routine longer? I'm planning on doing it maybe 2-3 days a week. Any recommendations? Thank you!

What you're doing is training muscle endurance...and since you are just starting, you're likely lacking in that area. Your future results will be greater muscle endurance as that is what you're specifically training with this.

Optimal strength training is higher weight, with low reps...but again, that is specifically training strength...someone who is regularly training strength and is very strong will have issues with a program that is focused on muscular endurance because that's not what they've been training.