Protein Shake Help!

Options
Not looking to build or bulk or anything of the sort (losing is more like it) but I would like to start adding protein powder into my morning shake (yogurt, banana and soy milk) so I am not going to attack the fridge by 10 am. I stood in the aisle for probably a good ten minutes comparing tubs to others as if I knew what I was doing.

I settled on Whey Gourmet - Chocolate Peanut Butter and I feel guilty drinking it, it is such a yummy addition to my shake that I can't believe it is real.

Where does this protein powder weigh in (excuse the pun lol) against others? I don't want to be using a bottom of the barrel kind of brand but I have nothing to compare it to. I wouldn't even know what to compare! Is this a 'no name' kind of brand or a 'designer' kind of label? What do you use and why?

Replies

• KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that brand. I use MyProtein and love it. It's sooooo good.

Check the protein count is high per scoop (mine is 19g) and that fat and carbs are low (mine is 1g fat and 3G carbs) most powders are built the same way so as long as the sugar, carbs and fat count are low and protein is high you should be good to go.
  • AshEvelynn
    AshEvelynn Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that brand. I use MyProtein and love it. It's sooooo good.

Check the protein count is high per scoop (mine is 19g) and that fat and carbs are low (mine is 1g fat and 3G carbs) most powders are built the same way so as long as the sugar, carbs and fat count are low and protein is high you should be good to go.

Good thoughts! Mine is 20g protein, 2 gr fat and 5gr carb so it sounds pretty similar...thanks!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't use it because I tend not to drink my calories, but if it fits your calories and it tastes good and helps make you feel full, then it sounds like a win/win. Chocolate peanut butter must be amazing!
  • AshEvelynn
    Options
    I don't use it because I tend not to drink my calories, but if it fits your calories and it tastes good and helps make you feel full, then it sounds like a win/win. Chocolate peanut butter must be amazing!

It serves as my breakfast because I can blend it at home and put in the fridge at work until about 10 when I actually feel like drinking breakfast. Plus breakfast is my least favorite meal to eat but I know it's important so I think this will work. I could hardly get the shake down this morning at 7....WAY too early for me to eat but I was so excited to try it and I was not disappointed!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It looks ok. And even better if it helps you stay on track. I tend to prefer things with 25 to 30g of protein, but that is because leucine contents tend to be higher.

And dont worry, proteins supplements dont build, bulk or make you lose weight. They only help increase protein intakes.

I tend to use muscle pharma due to taste and great for cooking.. i rarely actually ever drink a shake.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you like the taste I'd say you have a winner. The only protein supplements I don't like are the ones with a bitter aftertaste.

Sometimes I pick up whey protein isolate from the Bulk Barn to add protein to whatever I'm having.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    AshEvelynn wrote: »
    Not looking to build or bulk or anything of the sort (losing is more like it) but I would like to start adding protein powder into my morning shake (yogurt, banana and soy milk) so I am not going to attack the fridge by 10 am. I stood in the aisle for probably a good ten minutes comparing tubs to others as if I knew what I was doing.

I settled on Whey Gourmet - Chocolate Peanut Butter and I feel guilty drinking it, it is such a yummy addition to my shake that I can't believe it is real.

Where does this protein powder weigh in (excuse the pun lol) against others? I don't want to be using a bottom of the barrel kind of brand but I have nothing to compare it to. I wouldn't even know what to compare! Is this a 'no name' kind of brand or a 'designer' kind of label? What do you use and why?

If your morning shake is yogurt, soy milk, and banana it's already mostly protein, isn't it? If it's not holding you over, it's possible the problem isn't protein. If you are using low fat yogurt, it may actually be fat you need to add to it for satiety. The other possibility is that you just aren't satisfied by drinking a smoothie, which is true for a lot of people. I find I don't need a banana in my smoothie when I use a protein powder (they both make it creamier and sweeter) so instead I put greens in my smoothie and eat a banana with it, and the chewing helps me feel full.

I've used Optimum Nutrition and Trutein and would recommend both. Admittedly, I don't know much about how to determine quality, other than just looking for more protein per calorie.
  • AshEvelynn
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it sounds like I am good to go! Interesting thoughts on the chewing factor...will certainly consider this.
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Currently using Bulk Powders. However, i will use any of Myprotein, Protein dynamix, Go Nutrition, The Protein Works, Bulk Powders - depending on which is cheapest at the time (these suppliers have deals on constantly, i never buy with anything less than 30% off)
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Try adding a scoop or two to pancake/waffle batter. That's what I do. As for how it compares, most protein powders are very similar, so it really depends on other factors (like flavor and how much it costs compared to how much total protein is in the container).
  • mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    It looks ok. And even better if it helps you stay on track. I tend to prefer things with 25 to 30g of protein, but that is because leucine contents tend to be higher.

And dont worry, proteins supplements dont build, bulk or make you lose weight. They only help increase protein intakes.

I tend to use muscle pharma due to taste and great for cooking.. i rarely actually ever drink a shake.

Why do you say that you cant lose weight drinking protein shakes? If that is all she is eating for a meal and is in a calorie deficit wouldnt she lose weight? I love Isopure from GNC I only use one scoop which is 100 calories and 25 grams of protein.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

Why do you say that you cant lose weight drinking protein shakes? If that is all she is eating for a meal and is in a calorie deficit wouldnt she lose weight? I love Isopure from GNC I only use one scoop which is 100 calories and 25 grams of protein.

I didn't say you cant lose weight. Protein shakes dont inherently make you lose weight. They have calories and adds protein to your diet.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

It's the calorie deficit that makes you lose weight, not the protein shake.

OP - if you enjoy the shake/smoothie, that's great, but breakfast in the morning is not vital. If you don't want to use calories until later in the day that's fine. I'm another person who doesn't find drinking satisfying or satiating whatsoever - I'd rather eat the yoghurt with protein mixed in, fruit added on top, and probably some nuts or nut butter for fat.