Skin Issues

Options
awoodnyc
awoodnyc Posts: 33 Member
I'm 6 weeks in and seeing results. However, my acne has definitely gotten worse!! I shower after every work out, so my skin is drier but I have a lot more break-outs.
I drink an insane amount of water, and coffee in the morning. My dairy & refined sugar intake is minimal.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• HealthyAshes88888
    HealthyAshes88888 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    All lives matter.

Wait, read it wrong. Do you have facial wipes you can use during the day?

Dying lmao
  • awoodnyc
    Options
    lol, wow my title sucks.

I haven't tried wipes, but I wash my face twice a day. The real problem is my back and shoulders (gross I know).
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    awoodnyc wrote: »
    lol, wow my title sucks.

I haven't tried wipes, but I wash my face twice a day. The real problem is my back and shoulders (gross I know).

Have you tried tea tree oil? I love that stuff.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Are you using any acne products? Whatever I use on my face, I usually have to extend to my back as well. Sometimes just soap doesn't cut it.
  • awoodnyc
    edited October 2017
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    Are you using any acne products? Whatever I use on my face, I usually have to extend to my back as well. Sometimes just soap doesn't cut it.

What acne products have worked for you?

?
    KyleGrace8 wrote: »
    lol, wow my title sucks.

Do you use the concentrated oil as spot treatment?
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options

What acne products have worked for you?

?
    KyleGrace8 wrote: »
    lol, wow my title sucks.

Do you use the concentrated oil as spot treatment?

I do, it's anti bacterial, anti fungal and anti viral. It also reduces inflammation and redness.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Also check that you aren't breaking out due to laundry detergent or dryer sheets. If you haven't tried to use all cotton shirts with none of the synthetic additives, that may also help. You could also be in an inflammation cycle - may want to check with the dermatologist...
  • aeloine
    Options
    It'll possibly be different for you. I have oily skin, so I use super light serums in the morning but quite heavy creams at night.

Retinol has worked for me, but never use it in the morning - it reacts with sunlight and can cause serious damage. That's usually a dermatologist prescribed cream.

For over the counter, I've been recently using the Murad acne cream from Sephora. I bought their little 30 day kit and experimented with that - didn't like their night moisturizer and have a day one I like from another brand, but the acne solution is awesome and it comes with a tiny tube for spot treatments. Also comes with a pretty awesome face WASH that's pretty unbelievable (to me).

At night I've been using jojoba oil. It comes in a little dropper bottle and it's really helped lighten up some acne scars.

I have an organic bar soap that's citrusy and helps remove the oils from the night before. It's really similar to the Neutrogena morning burst wash, which I recommend too.

As a night time face wash I either use the Sephora Murad stuff, Cetaphil (walmart and walgreens have it). Cetaphil can dry your skin out, so don't use it all the time at first.

Finally, and this one was the most "worth it" to me, I use the Biore charcoal face wash in the shower. Walmart, walgreens, they all have it. Make sure that you work it in your hands into a foam before using it, but a pump will cover your shoulders AND face, and it doesn't dehydrate.

Go with thicker creams/face washes if you have dry skin. Go with gel or water based ones for oily skin (bonus if it foams).

AND GET A TONER OR Astringent.

Seriously.

Put some on a cotton pad and wipe your shoulders and face with it. It basically acts a disinfectant and helps grab whatever your soap missed. It's WAY more effective than wipes, dirt cheap, and lasts forever. You'll probably have to buy new cotton pads before you have to get another bottle of toner.

TL;DR:
    1) get a face wash that's compatible with your skin type
    2) use a toner
    3) put on acne cream
    4) seal with a moisturizer because the above chemicals will dry you out at first.
  • aeloine
    Options
    I love skin care.
  • aeloine
    Options
    I'm 6 weeks in and seeing results. However, my acne has definitely gotten worse!! I shower after every work out, so my skin is drier but I have a lot more break-outs.
    I drink an insane amount of water, and coffee in the morning. My dairy & refined sugar intake is minimal.
    Any suggestions?

I've suffered from acne since I was 12 and the older I get the more it's improved.

What's helped me tremendously is using these products:

Biore Charcoal Cleanser
    Thayer's Witch Hazel (with rose water & aloe)
    Cetaphil
    Garnier moisturizer

That's that stuff I said! Totally worth it! Make sure that you work it in your hands into a foam before using it.
  • awoodnyc
    Options
    It'll possibly be different for you. I have oily skin, so I use super light serums in the morning but quite heavy creams at night.

Retinol has worked for me, but never use it in the morning - it reacts with sunlight and can cause serious damage. That's usually a dermatologist prescribed cream.

For over the counter, I've been recently using the Murad acne cream from Sephora. I bought their little 30 day kit and experimented with that - didn't like their night moisturizer and have a day one I like from another brand, but the acne solution is awesome and it comes with a tiny tube for spot treatments. Also comes with a pretty awesome face WASH that's pretty unbelievable (to me).

At night I've been using jojoba oil. It comes in a little dropper bottle and it's really helped lighten up some acne scars.

I have an organic bar soap that's citrusy and helps remove the oils from the night before. It's really similar to the Neutrogena morning burst wash, which I recommend too.

As a night time face wash I either use the Sephora Murad stuff, Cetaphil (walmart and walgreens have it). Cetaphil can dry your skin out, so don't use it all the time at first.

Finally, and this one was the most "worth it" to me, I use the Biore charcoal face wash in the shower. Walmart, walgreens, they all have it. Make sure that you work it in your hands into a foam before using it, but a pump will cover your shoulders AND face, and it doesn't dehydrate.

Go with thicker creams/face washes if you have dry skin. Go with gel or water based ones for oily skin (bonus if it foams).

Seriously.

Put some on a cotton pad and wipe your shoulders and face with it. It basically acts a disinfectant and helps grab whatever your soap missed. It's WAY more effective than wipes, dirt cheap, and lasts forever. You'll probably have to buy new cotton pads before you have to get another bottle of toner.

TL;DR:
    2) use a toner
    3) put on acne cream
    4) seal with a moisturizer because the above chemicals will dry you out at first.

um oh my god, you're amazing. I need to go shopping with you, lol. Thanks so much! I'm going to try the Murad kit and see how that goes & the Biore charcoal.
  • awoodnyc
    Options
    lol, that's awesome! Thanks for the reply.
  • aeloine
    Options

Seriously.

TL;DR:
    2) use a toner
    3) put on acne cream

um oh my god, you're amazing. I need to go shopping with you, lol. Thanks so much! I'm going to try the Murad kit and see how that goes & the Biore charcoal.

Get a toner.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Neutrogena-Clear-Pore-Oil-Eliminating-Astringent-With-Salicylic-Acid-8-Fl-Oz/4157?wpa_bd=1507650487333&wpa_ref_id=b_54af2e08-2779-47ee-bb50-11f238e9cf40&wpa_aux_info=&wpa_tag=&wpa_pos=12&wpa_plmt=1145x1145_T-C-IG_TI_1-2_HL-INGRID-GRID&wpa_aduid=8ea12d08-cb8c-4724-ba4f-025d6c5d2d59&wpa_pg_id=1085666_1007039_1001503_6654895&wpa_st=FacialToners&wpa_tax=1085666_1007039_1001503_6654895

THIS IS THE *kitten*/bomb-diggity. Srsly just use it on your face and shoulders/back after washing and before anything else. Even if you ditch the Murad stuff, get this, or some version of it.
  • aeloine
    Options
    hellvee wrote: »
    Any suggestions?

I've suffered from acne since I was 12 and the older I get the more it's improved.

Biore Charcoal Cleanser
    Cetaphil
    Garnier moisturizer

2371700cd0f8e7798f45fde8ee2cf308.jpg

Yes.

This is exactly what I look like before I go to sleep.

uq4fsmh9ntal.jpg

Let's be friends.
  • aeloine
    Options
    hellvee wrote: »
    Any suggestions?

Biore Charcoal Cleanser
    Cetaphil
    Garnier moisturizer

2371700cd0f8e7798f45fde8ee2cf308.jpg

Yes.

This is exactly what I look like before I go to sleep.

uq4fsmh9ntal.jpg

Let's be friends.

Oh my god is that a photo from a worst witch book?

I definitely used to watch that show when I was a kid

If I say that I've seen that show, will you think I'm cool?
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I've been using Proactive since I was in high school and I'm really thinking of switching products. As I get older, I've noticed the product doesn't work as well for me anymore. Lately I've been using Freemans avocado mask on any breakouts I might have and leave it on overnight and it dries them up fairly quickly (Btw I recommend this mask. It leaves your skin glowing)