Creamy Soups

aeloine
aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
It's cold in Texas! I have a go-to leek and potato soup but would like to incorporate coconut milk or cream or some such to make it thicker. Not sure how to go about thickening up a vegetable soup or how much cream to put into existing recipes.

Any tips?

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited October 2017
    My mom was saying when they lived in England she noticed they would thicken up there soups by pureeing some of the veggies in the soup and adding it back to the soup, as far as how much cream or cooking coconut milk( they have a nice thick culinary kind in the healthy food aisle) to add, I would probably go by taste and desired consistency on that one.
  • aeloine
    My mom was saying when they lived in England she noticed they would thicken up there soups by pureeing some of the veggies in the soup and adding it back to the soup, as far as how much cream or cooking coconut milk to add, I would probably go by taste and desired consistency on that one.

I have a pretty janky immersion blender so it makes it chunky rather than smooth and creamy. That's why I was thinking about adding the cream.

Not sure if leeks and coconut milk go together, either...
  • Grimmerick
    edited October 2017
    aeloine wrote: »
    My mom was saying when they lived in England she noticed they would thicken up there soups by pureeing some of the veggies in the soup and adding it back to the soup, as far as how much cream or cooking coconut milk to add, I would probably go by taste and desired consistency on that one.

I have a pretty janky immersion blender so it makes it chunky rather than smooth and creamy. That's why I was thinking about adding the cream.

do you have a food processor or blender? Immersion blenders aren't too expensive you could always try getting a better one. and I think the culinary coconut milk would be ok with it, but you won't know until you try ;) I've made buttery chive sauces with mine to spoon over scallops and mashed potatoes.

• aeloine

do you have a food processor? and I think the culinary coconut milk would be ok with it, but you won't know until you try ;)

Not quite yet. I have a NutriBullet but that doesn't do well (what with being upside down with hot soup and all). I've been working up the courage to drop the money on a VitaMix.
  • Grimmerick

do you have a food processor? and I think the culinary coconut milk would be ok with it, but you won't know until you try ;)

Not quite yet. I have a NutriBullet but that doesn't do well (what with being upside down with hot soup and all). I've been working up the courage to drop the money on a VitaMix.

Oh I feel ya I haven't gotten the cahoneys to buy one of those yet.
  • Grimmerick
    edited October 2017
    There is a substance called agar agar that can thicken soups and not add flavor, it's kinda like a gelatin powder and I believe vegans use it. https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS749US749&biw=978&bih=729&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=agar+agar+powder&oq=agar+agar&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0i67k1j0l3j0i67k1j0l5.13637.15870.0.17502.10.9.0.0.0.0.506.970.0j1j0j1j0j1.4.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..6.3.969.0...128.rz7aPo5m3QE

I have used it before it works well. Arrow root powder too is supposed to be a thickener like cornstarch
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    http://www.thekitchn.com/soups-on-7-ways-to-make-any-so-106057

These people are smarter than me.

But I'd go with cream, because COME ON HEAVY CREAM IS DIVINE.

If you don't want cream, 6 and 7 were going to be my other suggestions.
  • aeloine
    There is a substance called agar agar that can thicken soups and not add flavor, it's kinda like a gelatin powder and I believe vegans use it. https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS749US749&biw=978&bih=729&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=agar+agar+powder&oq=agar+agar&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0i67k1j0l3j0i67k1j0l5.13637.15870.0.17502.10.9.0.0.0.0.506.970.0j1j0j1j0j1.4.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..6.3.969.0...128.rz7aPo5m3QE

I have used it before it works well. Arrow root powder too is supposed to be a thickener like cornstarch

Oh, I've seen that used on the Food Network! Thanks for the tips!!

Will update with final results.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Instant mashed potato flakes will thicken the soup nicely. Not even joking.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I love my VitaMix, but my immersion blender does really well too (I think it was $30 for the Cuisinart one). I've thickened soups using blended starchy veggies like corn or potato, as well as cauliflower. Sometimes I add 1/4 cup heavy cream to make it extra-creamy. Starting with a creamy base, like a tomato or butternut squash bisque, also works.

Here is a recipe for a soup that's thick and creamy, that doesn't use cream or blended veggies at all. It's seriously my all-time favorite soup. These ingredients are all from Trader Joes but I'm sure you can find equivalents at any store if you don't have a TJ's neat you:

Chimmichurri Soup
    * 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, uncased and cooked (so it resembles ground beef. I'm sure using ground meat of any type would work as well- just add extra spices to the soup)
    * 1 bag frozen mixed veggies (whatever you like. I use a blend that includes corn, carrots, lima beans, peas, etc.)
    * 1 bag frozen Trader Joe's chimmichurri rice
    * 2 cartons (8 cups total) roasted red pepper & tomato soup

Just throw everything together and cook!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited October 2017
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    I love my VitaMix, but my immersion blender does really well too (I think it was $30 for the Cuisinart one). I've thickened soups using blended starchy veggies like corn or potato, as well as cauliflower. Sometimes I add 1/4 cup heavy cream to make it extra-creamy. Starting with a creamy base, like a tomato or butternut squash bisque, also works.

Here is a recipe for a soup that's thick and creamy, that doesn't use cream or blended veggies at all. It's seriously my all-time favorite soup. These ingredients are all from Trader Joes but I'm sure you can find equivalents at any store if you don't have a TJ's neat you:

Chimmichurri Soup
    * 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, uncased and cooked (so it resembles ground beef. I'm sure using ground meat of any type would work as well- just add extra spices to the soup)
    * 1 bag frozen mixed veggies (whatever you like. I use a blend that includes corn, carrots, lima beans, peas, etc.)

FYI, the prepared soup contains cream and pureed vegetables.
  • aeloine

Chimmichurri Soup

Thanks for the recipe!

For tonight I have one in mind, just trying to thicken it up.

On the other hand, it's officially above 70*, so the cold front is gone :(
  • Moxie42
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Chimmichurri Soup

FYI, the prepared soup contains cream and pureed vegetables.

Good point! The one I use for this recipe doesn't include cream but most prepared creamy soups/bisques probably do.
  • Moxie42

Chimmichurri Soup

Thanks for the recipe!

For tonight I have one in mind, just trying to thicken it up.

On the other hand, it's officially above 70*, so the cold front is gone :(

It's been in the 80s here and I'm still eating soup! Once it's fall, I bring out the soup recipes regardless of the weather. I live in Southern California so if I only ate soup on cold days, I'd be very soup-deprived and sad, lol!
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Chaoyte. Or Tayote if you're in a latin american country.

Peel and dice the chayote, fry in a little butter with garlic and onion. Season with whatever you like. Then cook it in some chicken or vegetable broth until it is soft. Pulse it in a blender or food processor.

Super creamy, and like 30 calories a cup. You can eat it alone, or use it in other soups to make it creamy without the calories.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/156544/chayote-soup/

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    I puree all or some of the soup too. I will either put an immersion blender in the pot or take a few cups out and puree in a traditional blender and stir it back in. Another method to thicken soup is adding tempered egg like in the Greek soup Avgolemono. You add a cup of the hot soup broth to two beaten eggs very slowly until the egg is warm then put it back in the pot. You could try adding cornstarch or flour slurry too. I find cream adds richness but doesn't thicken it much unless you reduce it. Some chefs use a paste of flour and softened butter to thicken pan sauces I don't know how it will work in a soup.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/12/cauliflower-leek-soup.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/10/lemon-chicken-and-vegetable-soup.html
  • dklibert
    I wonder if instant potato flakes would work in your case? Just a thought.
  • aeloine
    dklibert wrote: »

Someone mentioned that earlier and it blew my mind!
  • dklibert
    dklibert wrote: »

Someone mentioned that earlier and it blew my mind!

Sorry I missed that. :# I guess I skim more than I thought. Oops!
  • aeloine
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Instant mashed potato flakes will thicken the soup nicely. Not even joking.

No worries, it wasn't a large post.

Wonder what that'd do to the calorie budget, though. And how much to use?

Lovin' all the suggestions on here, by the way! Thanks a bunch to everyone who's posted!