Kinda stuck

Options
Ok so I am a really big guy and I came to the realization over a year ago that I had to change my lifestyle or I wouldn't be around very long. I started dieting and exercising at my heaviest I was a whopping 630lbs and I'm 6'3" if that gives any kind of insight, but I began logging my calories and working out with Tae Bo religously and walking I'm now down to 522lbs and I have run into a bit of a wall. I've been gradually reducing my calorie intake throughout the beginning of my weight loss journey, and I'm now taking in about 2200 calories a day. But as of the past two weeks my weight loss has almost halted, my question is should I continue to lower my caloric intake, the reason I ask is I've been told by multiple people that I shouldn't really go any lower.
Also on a Sidenote I've been using the keto diet as kind of a guideline to assist with my weight loss I haven't been strictly keto or in ketosis or anything but as I said just a bumper if you will, and my energy level and morale are at an all time high. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am no expert as this is a relatively new thing for me but I have been reading a LOT of posts and I don't think two weeks is too much to worry about. I keep reading advice to download a weight tracker app - which I did this morning (libra on android, there is a different one mentioned for IOS but I forget the name). The idea is that even if you weigh daily it helps you to see the overall downward trend despite stalls and fluctuations.
    As frustrating as seeing the numbers stick must be, I would try to wait at least a month before making further adjustments as it really doesn't seem uncommon and you could still be losing fat but holding on to water weight for any number of reasons. If you don't see a shift by then, then slight adjustments and a bit of patience until you to would stop you from going lower than needed.

The general weightloss forum near the top of the list seems more active than this one and I am sure you would get better replies from more experienced people than I if you were to post there but I would also bet that the first ones would be:

1. Are you sure you are logging your intake accurately
    2. How have you worked out your calorie goals
    3. Weightloss isn't linear and sometimes our bodies don't behave as we expect but it will catch up!

You have done an amazing job so far so I am sure you are doing all you need to do, keep up the good work!
  • 76Crane76
    76Crane76 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I saw an article about tricking your body with a different caloric intake each day. For example 2200 for 3 days, then 2100 day 4, 2400 day 5, 2300 days 6 and 7...just an idea on overcoming a plateau.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    My plateaus have typically come because my body is retaining water, or because I'd been dehydrated during one or more of my previous weigh-ins. I eventually accepted that my calorie tracking was more accurate than my scale, in the short term at least. For now, I'd keep doing what you're doing. If I were you though, if I saw no change after 4 weeks, I'd be taking a long hard look at how accurately I'm measuring my calorie consumption.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Weight loss does stall out from time to time. The key is to stick to your plan rather than go back to old habits, as some people do. Also make sure you are weighing all your food and logging accurately per tips on this site. COngrats on you loss so far, keep it going!
  • Patsycervantes
    Patsycervantes Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Everyone hits a snag in their weightloss. I would stick to tthe same calories and switch up your work out and check out Chris Powell. He wrote an article that talks about what you can do when you plateau and can be pretty helpful. He is all about fitness and has helped so many. He truly inspires me and his wife is equally as awesome
  • Random1634
    Random1634 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've found when I get stuck going up in calories for a week or two helps. Your body learns to work with what you give it, and will do everything it can to keep from burning fat. Once it's readjusted to getting slightly more you drop down again. That's what gas worked for me at least, everyone is different. I just make sure to steer clear of junk food during that time, it's too easy for me to slip back into old habits.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    "Almost halted" for 2 weeks? Here are the possibilities and their solutions:
    • It's a fluctuation due to poop/water weight/high sodium/muscle repair/etc. Remedy: Stay the course. Give it another 2 weeks before changing anything.
    • You had 1-3 bad days (went over calories by a lot) and it's evening out to maintenance for 2 weeks. Remedy: These things happen, try to space out your bad days or only go over by a little those days.
    • You drank alcohol and you're retaining water. Remedy: Stay the course. Give it another 2 weeks before changing anything.
    • You are logging 2,200 calories but eating way more. Remedy: Use a food scale to measure and log everything.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is a short time. It could be many different factors (a lot of them listed above). Give it more time.

I agree that you shouldn't lower your calories below 2200, but you may want to tighten up your logging. Also, if you are eating back exercise calories, be careful of overestimating those. But it is very common to see a near-stall for a couple of weeks and then a big "whoosh" of weight coming off.

You've already lost over 100 pounds. That's fantastic! Just keep moving forward, even if you have to ride through a few 'bumps' on the slope.
    76Crane76 wrote: »
    I saw an article about tricking your body with a different caloric intake each day. For example 2200 for 3 days, then 2100 day 4, 2400 day 5, 2300 days 6 and 7...just an idea on overcoming a plateau.

Your body isn't "tricked" by this. It uses the calories it has available and then goes to storage (ie fat) for the rest - or stores the leftover if in a surplus. This method *may* trick your mind/emotions into feeling like you are doing something to get past a slow spot, or to help with adherence, but it's not what actually makes you end a plateau. If anything, it is a placebo effect. (FWIW, the breakdown listed above is actually more calories than if eating 2200 a day, so it would actually make weight loss a bit slower).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am a really big guy and I came to the realization over a year ago that I had to change my lifestyle or I wouldn't be around very long. I started dieting and exercising at my heaviest I was a whopping 630lbs and I'm 6'3" if that gives any kind of insight, but I began logging my calories and working out with Tae Bo religously and walking I'm now down to 522lbs and I have run into a bit of a wall. I've been gradually reducing my calorie intake throughout the beginning of my weight loss journey, and I'm now taking in about 2200 calories a day. But as of the past two weeks my weight loss has almost halted, my question is should I continue to lower my caloric intake, the reason I ask is I've been told by multiple people that I shouldn't really go any lower.
    Also on a Sidenote I've been using the keto diet as kind of a guideline to assist with my weight loss I haven't been strictly keto or in ketosis or anything but as I said just a bumper if you will, and my energy level and morale are at an all time high. any help would be greatly appreciated.

A 2 week stall is nothing to be concerned about. There is a lot of other stuff on your body other than fat, and the weight of that stuff can affect what you see on the scale sometimes. In fact, as you get smaller, you will notice this happening more and more, so might as well get used to it now :)

Don't reduce your calories, don't try to trick your body, don't add unnecessary complications to make this harder than it already is. If what you have been doing has been working, just stay the course and get used to the fact that it will be a bumpy ride! Good luck
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! For me, I had a 6 month long stall, and it took me changing up my diet and exercise. And adding more water. Are you eating the same thing every day? Mix it up. Our bodies can get used to the same things. Maybe switching from tae bo to another program. I actually added more carbs into my diet and tripled my water intake (I hate water) by getting a bottle that keeps things ice cold for 36 hours. Sometimes little changes can make a big difference.