I'm going out to a Mexican restaurant tonight

Options
2»

Replies

• mdarrall
    mdarrall Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I guess you've gathered you should avoid the tortillas...and the bucket of tortilla CHIPS they'll bring you. Don't forget that this food is SALTY, too, so you might retain a little water.

That said, don't avoid the carbs COMPLETELY - that's half the goodness of Mexican. Yes - push the protein and veggies, and limit yourself to one tortilla or a handful of chips. Get someone to help you if you need it.

If you can get frijoles rather than refried beans, some of those would be good too. If you can get them, you can eat a little rice - they complement each other and make a more complete carb your body will actually burn. :-)

Order ala carte as opposed to the combo plate - you can control your servings better. Maybe.

The trick is to keep the basket of chips and warmer full of tortillas as far away from you as possible...

Good luck!
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    MARGARITAS OF COURSE.... ok not really...

I agree with most of the other posters... fajitas are a great choice or anything grilled...
    pollo ranchero is my fav... but when I go I cant hesitate eating the chips and salsa
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I loooooooove Mexican food! Noms.
    Ole!
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    my best piece of advice is to avoid the chips.

eat lots of meat and veggies if you can! and water instead of margaritas :(
  • marcon125
    marcon125 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Also Caldo soups with either chicken or beef are really good. They tend to have just the veggies and meat in them. I would agree about the other advice above about tortillas, chips, rice and refried beans.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Chile rellanos. Chile stuffed with cheese, the batter is actually eggs, with whipped whites and the yolks added back to the stiffly beaten whites.

Better choice is fajitas with chicken or shrimp, ask for guacamole and salsa instead of rice and beans.
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Fajitas, whatever kind you like, no tortillas! They always give you huge portions with fajitas so you can fill up without the tortillas.