About macros on ketogenic diet

Options
I workout and am currently following the ketogenic diet and my daily macros are 139 g fat, 78 g protein, and 25 g carbs.

Problem is after my workout once I eat my eggs and drink my protein shake, I'm already at 79 g protein, and I usually get hungry 3 to 4 hrs after. Am i supposed to avoid proteins for the rest of the day to avoid getting kicked out of ketosis?

I'm on ketosis because I'm trying to lose fat and build lean muscle. I have acknowledged the fact I won't gain that much weight on keto. In case this helps: my workout, 2 hrs km average, consists of weighed calisthenics (bodyweight training with a 20 lbs weight vest) and jump rope.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Keto is an inferior choice for building muscle. And a protein intake that low is most likely also suboptimal for building muscle, depending upon your size/weight. You don't build any appreciable amount of muscle unless you're in a caloric surplus with adequate protein intake and running a good strength training program (and it actually doesn't look like you meet any of those parameters). And when you're in a caloric surplus to gain muscle, you also gain fat - usually in somewhere around a 50/50 ratio to the amount of muscle gained.

You can gain weight on a keto diet just as you can on any other diet, because weight gain/loss has to do with the number of calories you consume relative to the number you expend, not how many grams of carbohydrates you eat. There's nothing magical about keto that prevents weight gain in a caloric surplus.

shagdw87u8ud.jpg
  • dustinjbrock
    dustinjbrock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes you'll need to watch your protein. Taking in your max amount first thing in the morning can make it hard to maintain later in the day because all your left to eat is greens, avacados and oils if you don't want to eat more protein.

I'd say do one or the other in the morning, and with either make sure to add some fat. Add some mct oil into your protien shake or make sure you cook your eggs in butter and account for the fat the butter has.

The poster above is accurate, keto is no ideal for hiit or high intensity sports. It is beneficial for long steady sports like long distance running for instance. With keto, low intensity exercise is best for fat burning. Also you started you are trying to lose fat so I gather that bulking is not what your going for so keto will be perfect.

Once you've lost your weight and if you choose to bulk then keto is not the right diet.