Jobs that pay for gym memberships

Options

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    jaimydude wrote: »
    Mine gives me $350 to spend on anything I want that is fitness related. That could mean equipment for home use or memberships. It is a fantastic perk to include.

That's really great! My job only pays for gym memberships. $350 a year would pay for most of the annual wear on a bike. Stuff like chains and tires.
  • Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Demed70 wrote: »
    I'm lucky, the company I work for has full functional gym available to all their employees. We have a full gym with fitness classes available to us (Cross training, Bootcamp, Indoor Cycling, and Yoga). Its a nice perk. We get meals as well. Happy employees = Productive employees.

What company would that be
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Mine gives me $350 to spend on anything I want that is fitness related. That could mean equipment for home use or memberships. It is a fantastic perk to include.

I'm self employed which I absolutely love, but if I worked for a company I would want this option because of the added flexibility. A gym isn't the only way to get exercise and having a gym membership does nothing to ensure anyone will actually use it. Ideally, I would prefer to get the extra money in my paycheck to use as I see fit because that's the most flexible idea of all. That's probably part of the reason I love being self employed come to think of it.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I'm self employed which I absolutely love, but if I worked for a company I would want this option because of the added flexibility. A gym isn't the only way to get exercise and having a gym membership does nothing to ensure anyone will actually use it. Ideally, I would prefer to get the extra money in my paycheck to use as I see fit because that's the most flexible idea of all. That's probably part of the reason I love being self employed come to think of it.

True.
    I'm lucky in that there are 3 gyms around the corner from my workplace. And being in an upper apartment means I'm not about to put together a home gym (also a large amount of equipment in the gym, rather than a single barbell, means I can superset a bunch of stuff to get done a lot quicker in the non-busy hours, which happily currently includes the hour before I start work) - definitely not as convenient for everyone as it is for me.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    rhenry2424 wrote: »
    I pay $25 to my insurance company and they have a membership program with gyms nationwide. I can belong to multiple gyms in my area for the 1 price.

Previous employers I have been with either paid for all or half my membership.

We had that until my employer basically priced Blue Cross out of reasonableness as an insurance option. At one time, CEO said we pay people enough, don't need to pay their gym memberships.

Yep, engagement is high.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My health insurance company offers a discounted rate at specific gyms ($25 per month), and my employer reimburses up to $25 per month for gym membership, so for me it's free.

We also have a gym at my workplace, which all employees can use free of charge, including a personal trainer and classes. So, pretty nice benefits.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Considering that exercise does more to keep people healthy than weight loss, it makes since for health insurance to reduce premiums for companies with fitness related wellness programs and for companies to pay for gym memberships or to provide a gym on site. Employees with fewer sick days translates into a significant cost savings for the company.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    My job provides a discount at a couple different gyms.

However, I used another one because I get a bigger discount as a student.
  • readgal89
    readgal89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My insurance will pay you back up to $150 at the end of the year. You have to get a statement showing how much you have spent on the gym membership and fill out the paper work. The gym is not free upfront.
  • EdB9992015
    EdB9992015 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Recently discovered my firm does has a corporate discount at the gym I am already a member of so just changed my membership over, about a ¼ off per month. Not a huge amount but it all adds up :smile:
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    We have a small gym at work that is a minimal monthly cost... I opted to join our local YMCA since it has a gym and I get a corporate discount of 20% off my family membership.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Demed70 wrote: »
    I'm lucky, the company I work for has full functional gym available to all their employees. We have a full gym with fitness classes available to us (Cross training, Bootcamp, Indoor Cycling, and Yoga). Its a nice perk. We get meals as well. Happy employees = Productive employees.

I had this at another larger firm and it was great, although a very small minority used this. Still better than none and simply having this resulted in lower insurance premiums.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    My employer had free gym memberships when I first started here, but I was a contractor so that didn't apply to me. A month after I was hired on direct, they dropped that benefit. :frowning: They do have a small but decent gym on-site though. :+1:
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    My husband's company pays 100% for gym membership, but he doesn't take advantage of it. He says he gets enough exercise working on our property and playing disc golf and he doesn't want to spend his time off in a gym. He's a bit of a hermit so they gym isn't his cup of team. He's also pretty fit, so I don't push it. However, if I had that opportunity I'd jump at the offer!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    The hospital I just left paid for half of the gym membership. I left to stay with the doctor that I work with (he started his own business) and the insurance he provides also pays for half. I declined his insurance since I'm on my husbands but asked that he pay for my entire gym membership instead (with a raise as well since I'm saving him about $1200 a month by not taking his ins). Works for me!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    that's nice! I work at a university so I can go to out gym for free. We also have a $250 flex card that we can use for whatever, including gym memberships.
  • simonsaysso
    simonsaysso Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My health insurance pays $20 a month towards gym membership for me and my spouse. You have to go at least 12 times per month.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Mine doesn't pay, per se, but I have access to gym and pool facilities through the university (I'm university staff). The only reason I still keep my LA Fitness membership is because the pool hours are tied to the student breaks, and I'm not willing to give up swimming for chunks of time over the winter and summer.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    My job is my gym. I wish i had a gym membership paid for though thatd be great. Im cheap xD