Bordom while running?

Options
13»

Replies

• SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I rarely ever carry tunes anymore unless I am on the treadmill. I have learned to enjoy the scenery and it has helped with any boredom.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I agree with registering for a race helping, also. Super motivating at the macro level.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    remmus102 wrote: »
    Hello, I’m a beginner runner and I run about 3 times a week with bad runs being about 2 miles long at a 8:30 per mile pace to about 4.6 miles at a 9:30 per mile pace. I’ve noticed that one of the reasons I don’t run very far is boredom. Any tips?

Sometimes I'll get bored running, but largely not. When I was only doing short distances I'd use music, podcasts of audio books. Now that I'm running longer I find the experience quite meditative. The steady beat of my feet, or my breathing, gives a point of focus to just clear my head. Sometimes it's space to chew over work related challenges or issues, sometimes it's just about clearing my head.

As others are suggesting, trail running is great. An opportunity to connect with the environment, see things and get the headspace.

The times I do get bored would be indoors on a dreadmill, or if I have to do a long run in a couple of locations where it's unsafe to go too far due to traffic and road conditions. Ten miles round exhibition centre car parks does get dull, but those times it's a question of recognising that I need to get the miles in to make the races easier.

You have a purpose, use that purpose to help your motivation.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    when I need a change of scenery to prevent boredom (although I have a few decent options in my neighborhood) I drive to a different area of the city, and go for a jog through the park, trails or neighborhood.
    I used to listen to music but lately I find the wind, traffic or nature sounds more appealing.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Changing up your routes definitely helps. I love running someplace new because I stay aware of my surroundings in a way I don't when I run the same routes all the time.

When I first started doing really long runs, one of the mental games I played was an alphabet game where I would look for something that started with A, then something starting with B, then something starting with C, etc. I allowed words on signs. I rarely do this any more, because I enjoy my long runs more now that they are easier. I still look around and look for animals, flowers, colorful trees, etc. Sometimes I have music, but I find I actually run better without it because I get into a nice steady rhythm when I don't have different music influencing my paces. Running hilly routes also keeps the run interesting, because I focus on getting up the hills smoothly and easily (if I can) or racing down the slope without losing control.