Should I

I've been wanting to eat poptarts forever and they totally fit with calories with so much left over.. but the fact that they're high in sugar scares me

Replies

• Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member
    If they fit your calories, go ahead. You may find that they aren't as tasty as you remember, but at least you'll have that craving satisfied. Occasional sugary treats shouldn't scare you, unless you are diabetic.
    I ate poptarts for breakfast three times last week and they didn't ruin my maintenance.

Okay good to know!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    All in for pop tarts for breakfast.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,116 Member
    If you are not diabetic then it won't matter if you go over your sugar goal. I don't pay any attention to my sugar goal. If it fits your calories then eat it if you want it.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,492 Member
    Go for it! I eat super high sugar diet (including poptarts) and maintained for years because Im eating maintenance calories.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Eat them if you want and they fit your macros.

Personally I find them disappointing though.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Bleh! I can think of so many things I'd rather have!
  • RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 164 Member
    Sometimes I eat half of it. Like many people mention before you only remember how good they tasted but now it might be different. At least your craving will go away. I always believe not to deprive yourself with certain foods. Its the way you go about it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Trex5009 wrote: »
    I've been wanting to eat poptarts forever and they totally fit with calories with so much left over.. but the fact that they're high in sugar scares me

Why does sugar scare you?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    I had been wanting to have cookie dough poptarts for sometime but found I was very disappointed when I finally had a couple last weekend. I think I much prefer a basic jam doughnut or some cake, preferably chocolate cake.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Nutritionally pretty empty (I like to start my day with protein personally) but it won’t cause weight gain if it fits into your calories.

Just remember that the serving size is ONE poptart even though there’s TWO in the package!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    I had been wanting to have cookie dough poptarts for sometime but found I was very disappointed when I finally had a couple last weekend. I think I much prefer a basic jam doughnut or some cake, preferably chocolate cake.

The American cinnamon roll ones are AMAZING... they used have them in an American candy shop in town but they stopped doing them :disappointed:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    If they fit your calories, go ahead. You may find that they aren't as tasty as you remember, but at least you'll have that craving satisfied. Occasional sugary treats shouldn't scare you, unless you are diabetic.

This happens with a lot of things from my childhood that I remember as being awesome. It's sad.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Do you like it?
    Does it fit into your calorie and nutrition goals?
    Do you feel okay after eating it?

Those are the three questions I ask myself when I'm evaluating a food. If the answer to all three is yes, then go for it. If the answer to any of them is no, then consider eating something else. Don't overthink this. A day higher in sugar won't hurt you unless you have medical reason to watch them. If you do, then you'll need to evaluate your priorities to help you make those food decisions. If you don't have medical reasons to watch your sugars, then I guess I don't see what scares you.

"Scare" is kind of a big word when it comes to foods. If your food scares you then it may be worth taking a step back from tracking your food to try and get a handle on that. You shouldn't be afraid to eat something unless its something you're allergic to or you have chronic health issues to worry about. Food isn't scary. It's just food. Some fit into a diet easier than others, that's all.
  • kelsiestoner
    kelsiestoner Posts: 78 Member
    I just stopped eating poptarts recently because the whole package of brown sugar cinnamon is over 400 calories. I know I could eat half of the package but seriously, who am I kidding there? I just decided that they're not really worth it to use up that much of my daily allowance first thing in the morning. I'll stick with my Special K bar and enjoy something even better later on. lol
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I think pop-tarts are disgusting but if you like them then eat them.
  • Trex5009
    Do you like it?
    Does it fit into your calorie and nutrition goals?
    Do you feel okay after eating it?

Those are the three questions I ask myself when I'm evaluating a food. If the answer to all three is yes, then go for it. If the answer to any of them is no, then consider eating something else. Don't overthink this. A day higher in sugar won't hurt you unless you have medical reason to watch them. If you do, then you'll need to evaluate your priorities to help you make those food decisions. If you don't have medical reasons to watch your sugars, then I guess I don't see what scares you.

"Scare" is kind of a big word when it comes to foods. If your food scares you then it may be worth taking a step back from tracking your food to try and get a handle on that. You shouldn't be afraid to eat something unless its something you're allergic to or you have chronic health issues to worry about. Food isn't scary. It's just food. Some fit into a diet easier than others, that's all.

Thanks for that!
  • Trex5009
    Depends. What flavor?!? :p

I want to explore different flavors.. currently I just have the smore's flavor.. which one do you like most?