Struggling to eat enough (can your stomach shrink?)

Options
I had a couple of days a week ago where I had no appetite (drugs) and so are very very little but since then I've been struggling to eat what I used to before. I'm just not that hungry and food just doesn't seem that appealing anymore.
I've lost about 4 pounds this weak and I'm already at the very bottom of my healthy weight range and I don't feel very healthy at the moment.
I know the obvious answer is to just eat more but the thought of forcing more food down makes me feel sick and just seems wrong.
I haven't been logging at the moment because i lack the mental energy for that (and nearly everything else). Any advice?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Eat something higher in calorie like an avocado or peanut butter or a handful of nuts.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Doctor. Ask about getting other drugs, or if not prescribed, just stop.

The obvious answer is correct, but maybe not specified enough. There is a window between "just seems wrong" and "makes me feel sick". You need to get out of your comfort zone and you want to hit that window, several times a day.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    The obvious answer for me would be "call my doctor"
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You have no appetite and you are depressed. Both are distorting the natural instinct to eat enough. Until you feel like it, you will have to treat this as a necessary chore, like taking your vitamins.

High calorie alternatives have been suggested to you (peanut butter, butter, avocado, nuts) because you won't have to eat as much to hit your target.

It is very right to eat enough even if you don't feel like it.

Do you have whole milk in the refrigerator? Use milk as your beverage and put plenty of cream in your coffee.

Edited to add: Sip and nibble so you don't feel like you are forcing anything.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Go for calorie dense high nutrient foods while you're struggling, someone came up with a list if you check, this forum for a thread title "a list of calorie dense foods""
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try to eat more snacks during the day and drinking milk (soya). I'm not going to go to a doctor about this though.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    czmiles926 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try to eat more snacks during the day and drinking milk (soya). I'm not going to go to a doctor about this though.

Why not?
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation.
    I was sick for around 11 days with a bad type of stomach flu and could not eat a lot during that time. Now, after that, I am definitely just about on the lower edge of healthy weight, but it is hard to get my appetite back.
    I resorted to grazing on anything I want. I had ice cream yesterday before having my actual dinner. If I want sweets instead of food, I just have them. Of course I want to get back to working out and gaining muscle, not just fat, but right now it is all about getting back into a healthy appetite and weight and in my opinion anything, any food, any amount of it is allowed for now.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I'm not completely understanding your post. Did you get sick and take drugs as treatment? Did you take drugs for a condition and the drugs made you sick? Did you have a stomach flu? Are you still on the same drugs?

If drugs are making you lose your appetite, please tell me what they are - lol!! No really, if that's the case, you should see your doctor.

If you had a stomach flu and you're just not better yet, give it some time. I agree with skymningen - eat anything at any time for now. Just get it in, and stay hydrated.
  • czmiles926
    Options
    I'm not completely understanding your post. Did you get sick and take drugs as treatment? Did you take drugs for a condition and the drugs made you sick? Did you have a stomach flu? Are you still on the same drugs?

If drugs are making you lose your appetite, please tell me what they are - lol!! No really, if that's the case, you should see your doctor.

If you had a stomach flu and you're just not better yet, give it some time. I agree with skymningen - eat anything at any time for now. Just get it in, and stay hydrated.

They were recreational drugs
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Eat higher calories foods, rather than larger amounts. The appetite loss will wear off, you're probably still coming down a little.
  • czmiles926
    Options
    Eat higher calories foods, rather than larger amounts. The appetite loss will wear off, you're probably still coming down a little.

Thanks, I'm feeling a lot better now and I'm back to normal appetite and normal weight!

I think it was just a bit of a bad come down.