Shut down a binge today!

Options
girlonthego06
girlonthego06 Posts: 8 Member
edited October 2017 in Motivation and Support
Sorry, long post ahead... :)

So I I have been using MFP off and on for a few years (more off than on). Well this past Monday I decided to jump back on the wagon after a few months of eating whatever I wanted, not working out, etc. I have been trying to make better choices these past few days and log everything I eat to keep myself accountable.

Well today I stopped at Walmart on my way home from work and got a few things for lunch and snacks for the rest of the week. I bought Honey nut Chex mix which is something I really really really like to eat. As I was putting the groceries away in the back of my car I saw the Chex mix in one of the bags..since I had a light lunch and skipped my afternoon snack, I decided to get the bag out so I could snack on a few bites on my way home from the store (it's only a few miles).

So as I'm driving and sitting in a little bit of traffic I'm eating the chex mix and suddenly I feel like I am starting to lose control. I never thought I had a binge eating disorder or anything, but I do know I am bad for mindlessly eating and allowing one cheat meal to become a cheat binge and that's what I felt was happening in that moment. I started noticing that I suddenly didn't really care about my weight and I just wanted to eat, I stopped thinking about my goals and eating better and making healthier choices, I was ready to throw in the towel for the day and just start over tomorrow.

Then, I took a second and told myself no. I allow myself to eat things I love in moderation and never want to deprive myself of an occasional treat I enjoy. But this wasn't enjoyable...this was self sabatoge and I knew it was going down a road I have traveled too many times before. If I gave up and ate the whole bag...I would be consuming over 1800 calories in one sitting....yes, I looked it up. Seeing the number and the reality of what I was doing...it was much easier to roll up the bag, set it aside, and say no.

I came home, put my groceries away, and grabbed an orange instead. It curbed the sweet craving and didn't cost me the whole day worth of calories. I did consume more than I wanted...probably 1.5 cups but that was only about 4 servings...the entire bag, which I fully planned to eat during my moment of wanting to binge was 14 servings. I just want to give myself a personal high five because I haven't ever been able to stop myself mid-loss of control like that. I hope this means good things to come if I stick with it. Thanks for listening!!!

Replies

• BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say good for you! I've been there..and I know how hard that can be to not just say *kitten* it and start new tomorrow. It's all about the small changes that propel you forward.

Good job!
  • mel35645
    mel35645 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The first part of your post sounds like I wrote it myself right down to the fact that I started back on mfp on Monday. I am a serious binge eater to make matters worse when I binge I do it with sugar! You should be very proud of yourself that you recognized what was happening today and you shut it down. WAY TO GO!!!!!
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    So awesome! Good for you - what a great step forward. Now remember this moment and how proud you feel the next time the binge monster comes around... because it always comes back unfortunately.

On the plus side, willpower becomes stronger the more you exercise it. Continuing to say no to binging and yes to moderation will lead you down the healthy path to mindful eating and positive relationships with food.

Personally struggling with my love for peanut butter so I totally get your situation. Finally got up the courage to buy peanut butter again - 3 days binge free with peanut butter in the house. Feels different this time... I am not obsessing over it like in days past. Time will tell all as to how I react long term.

Thanks for sharing your story. Good luck on your journey.
  • Barrera1010
    Barrera1010 Posts: 58 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Binge disorder? I don't think so. You just slipped up, it happens.

Glad you got back on track.