Keto for chronic fatigue

Options
Hey guys, some doctors seem to recommend going keto for chronic fatigue and inflammation treatment. I was wondering if you have any experience with this or any actual science behind this reasoning.
I have a lot of mom weight related health issues but fatigue is my main one and I'd like to lose some weight also in case it could make things a little better. If you have any experience with this please let me know!

Replies

• MsChewMe
    MsChewMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You mean your doctor?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I found it helps me with energy levels. I have mild insulin resistance and reactive hypoglycemia though, so my blood glucose swings may be greater than the average person's. In my case, a ketogenic diet really made quite a difference in how I feel.

It also appears to have helped reduce autoimmune flare-ups. That could be due to low carb foods as well as very limited sugary foods.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I follow a keto diet to help reduce RA flares and inflammation and have found it helps!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I don't do keto, but reduce grains only. Still have potatoes, fruit, etc.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I agree inflammation is being sited as being at the bottom of many illnesses. My problems were Hashi with general debility etc. Being in the UK there is limited help through the NHS for anything thyroid, so after too many years in desperation, I consulted a BANT registered nutritionist, (UK only). Her investigations follow the Functional perspective, tracking down my inflammatory triggers. Following her advice has been life transforming.

I simply can't do keto, I can't make it suit me. Many with fatigue as a key symptom, who reduce their carbs to 100 g per day see a dramatic improvement without the need to go the full keto. From my experience I would definitely seek out a Functional Practitioner. They use conventional blood tests and inflammatory markers to advise you personally. So many on here who do not have these life restricting ailments do not give these thoughts the time of day. Extending the research theme though a friend, I discovered the suggestion leaking spinal fluid can also contribute to CF symptoms particularly where severe headaches are concerned. Might have been out of Stamford.

I wish you well in your search for what works for you. Keep reading, keep thinking.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Doesn't have to be full on keto! Low carb greatly reduces inflammation and lethargy. Well, did for me. Keto can help more but start slow if you are unsure. Just cut pasta, breads, and junk food. Control carb intake and keep it at 100g to 150g..See how you feel after two weeks. Go a little lower for another two weeks. Find that magic number that helps you the most.