Fitness Lifestyle Meets The Travel Bug

Options
Maintaining a fitness lifestyle is easy - when you're at home and have a consistent schedule. Next week, my traveling begins - I head to Chicago, then Las Vegas, then I'm home for a week and head to Iceland. I pretty much have it down on how to maintain the nutrition aspect of things - opt for grilled meat, steamed veggies, avoid alcohol and desserts. That part will be easy. However, I don't want to completely lose the strength aspect of things while I'm away either. When I'm in Chicago and LV I'll be staying in hotels and will have access to a hotel gym, which I'm sure will have minimal equipment, mostly being cardio. My plan is, over the course of the 5-days that I'm away to fit in cardio daily, and three lifts - power legs, back and arms. Then, when I arrive home I'll hit the gym for heavy legs...assuming the hotel gyms won't have a rack for squats, etc.

What do you all do when you're away and DON'T have access to a gym?

Side note: I know there is the option to just not work out, but traveling back-to-back like this, I don't really want to just take a break and then feel totally out of shape when I return home. I'm also getting surgery in November so I'm kinda cherishing the work outs up until that point.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I do most of my trips 3 weeks+.
    I workout and lift while at home so I can enjoy the activities I am planning so I don't lose much in the way of strength gains. I gave up trying to hit the gym, but do have a bodyweight routine that travels with me (nerdfitness, it's simple fast and effective).
    I usually start back one weight back from when I left, but I am old and don't want injuries.

I would think you would lose little strength if you can fit in your workout while you are home for a week between trips.

Cheers, h.
  • tomaattikastike
    tomaattikastike Posts: 62 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I never travel without my running shoes, and especially when I'm at a conference all day, going on a run either morning or evening is a must for me, and also let's me see the area in a different way. Strength training might be more difficult - I have taken an exercise mat for bodyweight exercises in the past but often don't. However, if that's something important, you could also ask at a local gym (even before your trip) - the response really varies, many (at least that's been my experience in Europe) will even let you do a free "trial session" even though they know you're not from the area.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Anytime fitness seems to be pretty widespread, and your key fob will work at any of them after a month. I think you have to have a year contract, but you could find out ab that. It might be worth the cost.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can do a lot of strength training with TRX and it's very portable. Can use in your hotel room.