Hit a wall

I have hit the mother of all walls! The first 40 lbs was easy. I still have 36 to go. I have my goals broken down monthly, I walk 4 miles a day during the week. I'm getting aggravated, and sad at the same time.... what can I do to breakthrough?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    What do you mean by "hit a wall"? How long since you lost weight?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member

This^^ Is it being mentally tired of dieting? Take a diet break, eat at maintenance for 6-8 weeks, then get back to losing.
  • taunishay
    taunishay Posts: 34 Member

Since Sept 30th, my goal has been 6 lbs a month, and I have gained a lb since then. The first 40 melted off, and now I'm stuck
  • taunishay

This^^ Is it being mentally tired of dieting? Take a diet break, eat at maintenance for 6-8 weeks, then get back to losing.

I'm not really dieting persay... I clean eat, cut sugar, and practice portion control. I raised my protein, cut empty carbs... I thought that would just be easier when I get to maintenance.
  • taunishay

I also cut way way down on red meat. Maybe once a week, if that. Turkey, chicken, and fish.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    taunishay wrote: »

I'm not really dieting persay... I clean eat, cut sugar, and practice portion control. I raised my protein, cut empty carbs... I thought that would just be easier when I get to maintenance.

You're not in maintenance, you're 36 lbs to go. Im not clear what the "wall" is to you, but you I can Tighten up your logging, find some new ingredients, new recipes, new exercise options to spice things up.
    Nonetheless I've been in maintenance for a year, and been successful, I wouldn't say it's easy. I didn't expect it to be. If maintenance were easy, I never would have ended up 150 lbs overweight. I don't think I'll ever get to the point where I can let my guard down.
  • taunishay
    lorrpb wrote: »

You're not in maintenance, you're 36 lbs to go. Im not clear what the "wall" is to you, but you I can Tighten up your logging, find some new ingredients, new recipes, new exercise options to spice things up.
    Nonetheless I've been in maintenance for a year, and been successful, I wouldn't say it's easy. I didn't expect it to be. If maintenance were easy, I never would have ended up 150 lbs overweight. I don't think I'll ever get to the point where I can let my guard down.

I never said I was in maintenance...
  • taunishay
    It doesn't sound like you are tracking calories, but just "eating clean?" Get a food scale, weigh everything, log everything. No cheating, skipping, forgetting or guessing.

ewaltolg9c6z.jpg

Thank you. I've been losing momentum, just having a hard time being motivated or even disciplined...i was interval running, but I hurt my foot from doing too much... I think that's when my progress slowed tremendously.... I may habe to have my thyroid checked, I am on medication I have to take every day, due to cancer and removal of thyroid... my doctor was going to test next month. I may ask to expedite the process. I've been exhausted...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Not to be snarky - but you're supposed to start at the top of the flowchart, not the bottom. Eating clean, cutting out red meat, sugar, carbs, walking, none of that matters unless it provides you with a calorie deficit. At a higher weight, it provided a calorie deficit. At you current weight, it doesn't. Now it's time to dig out the kitchen scale and count calories.
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    40lbs is amazing so well done for that. Sounds like you need to work out exactly how many calories you need to be eating to lose at your current weight. Google Scoobys calorie calculator and enter your stats and activity level and it will give you the amount you need to eat at a bare minimum in order to function, the amount you need to eat to maintain your current weight and what you need to eat to lose. In a nutshell.

Making healthy changes to your diet, while beneficial, isn't necessarily going to result in weight loss unless you're eating at a deficit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member

If you want to lose weight, I recommend dieting. It's literally what the word means.
  • taunishay
    Not to be snarky - but you're supposed to start at the top of the flowchart, not the bottom. Eating clean, cutting out red meat, sugar, carbs, walking, none of that matters unless it provides you with a calorie deficit. At a higher weight, it provided a calorie deficit. At you current weight, it doesn't. Now it's time to dig out the kitchen scale and count calories.

Okay, I didn't say I was starting at the bottom... I have a kitchen scale, and I am going to buckle down... but did you miss the part where I am already on medication. Since 2011 i have not had a thyroid... so if my medicine isn't high enough or low enough that could also be the reason I am so tired... we haven't changed or checked my thyroid levels since March, I have lost 40 lbs since then... so it could stand to reason my thyroid dosage is skewed.
  • taunishay
    40lbs is amazing so well done for that. Sounds like you need to work out exactly how many calories you need to be eating to lose at your current weight. Google Scoobys calorie calculator and enter your stats and activity level and it will give you the amount you need to eat at a bare minimum in order to function, the amount you need to eat to maintain your current weight and what you need to eat to lose. In a nutshell.

Making healthy changes to your diet, while beneficial, isn't necessarily going to result in weight loss unless you're eating at a deficit.

Thank You!! I think cutting sugar, and empty carbs is what may have jumpstarted me, but everyone is right, I need to crack down on myself with counting calories and macros again... I waned for a bit there, and I'm not sure why... felt like I was fighting depression, walking is what usually helps with that, but as of late it isn't. I was worried I wasn't eating enough as well, every time i would try to complete an entry, it wouldn't let me because I was under my calorie intake...
  • taunishay

If you want to lose weight, I recommend dieting. It's literally what the word means.

The hardest part about dieting for me is I have endometriosis, and living without a thyroid. So where one diet may be good for endo, it isn't necessarily good for the other... hormones.... whole and organic, fruits and vegis, and light meat... I am not eating all day long and I do portion them out... I honestly thought I wasn't eating enough calories. Mfp won't let me close entries because I am always below... I am exhausted lately and just trying to find my discipline/motivation/inspiration again...
  • taunishay
    zbmiller4 wrote: »
    You need to change your routine. Keep the body guessing. I would try carb cycling or keto. You have kids and you live on a routine and your body is used to it. You need to incorporate HITT training. Everyday should not be the same.

Makes sense. What is carb cycling? I have heard of Keto and see people who swear by it... not sure if that is the best fit for me though.. I have been trying to put interval running back in my routine, since my foot has gotten better. I'm going to look up some HITT training now.
  • taunishay
    zbmiller4 wrote: »
    You were very overweight at the time. Losing weight is very simple when very heavy and bad diet. With proper water manipulation you can lose 30 pounds in three days. UFC fighters do it all the time. But they gain it back and it’s very bad on the organs.
    It’s not what you weigh, but how you feel.

Your clothes and the mirror should be the biggest indicator. Weight is just a number. Water retention literally is crazy it can put a inch around the stomach easily. Just be healthy. Eat clean and have fun. The more you obsess, the harder it is.

Everything is looser, my rings, pants and shirts... I keep trying to remind myself that strength training builds muscles and they worth more than fat... I might need to just makeover my goals... that has been the biggest stressor about this wall