Question about division

Options
lqichick
lqichick Posts: 162 Member
Division of Carbs v's protein v's fat. I did the math and if I eat like MFP wants I would have 55 % carbs's, 30 % fats and only 15% carbs. Somethings gotta be wrong, don't you think?

I mean out of 1490 calories I can have: 205 grams of carbs X 4 cal/gr = 820 cal and 820 cals/1490 = 55 %
How can that be correct?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    So when you do the math you get 55% = 55%, then question how it can be so?

The percentages are for calories, not for grams, if that helps.
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I guess what I am saying is should anyones diet be 55 % carbs, and yet only 15 % protein. I always thought it should be about 40% carbs/30% protein/ 30% fat. ???
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I guess what I am saying is should anyones diet be 55 % carbs, and yet only 15 % protein. I always thought it should be about 40% carbs/30% protein/ 30% fat. ???

There really is no wrong or right. Carbs aren't the devil...though MFP's protein macros are a little wanting IMHO. 40/30/30 is just the "zone diet" macro settings. Your goals are going to determine your macro ratios...I try to get 1 gram of protein per Lb of LBM and about 30% of my diet in fat. This usually leaves me with a ratio of roughly 45c/25p/30f at a maintenance level of calories. It would be perfectly acceptable though...and possibly beneficial to my training if I did a 55/25/20 split...I just happen to like fat too much though.