Elliptical Question

Options
Why do the tops of my feet get numb? I've got a back injury that I know about - however this only happens when on the elliptical. I should not do weight bearing exercise so I'm limited. (swimming/walking/elliptical)
Is it because of bad form? I do not do any resistance with this.

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I get numb toes after about 20 minutes, I think it's just a combo of leg and foot positioning and shoes and how tight they are.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Both my feet go numb. Not my shoes or them being too tight either. Weight bearing on the feet, the repetitive motion in which I use the machine (no lifting of the feet off pedals), cause both feet to do this. I do not use it enough to find a proper way to work it out, usually have to get off it after 20 minutes walk around and then get back on to finish the workout.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Try loosening your laces or not lacing the top two pairs of holes in your trainers.

Another thing that helps is "reversing" periodically to change where you are putting pressure on your feet - three minutes forwards, one minute backwards for example.
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It happens to me every time and I can stay on for 60 mins. It's because of all the pressure you put on the plantar part of your feet. Your toe area. Try to reposition your feet around from time to time while on the machine. it will help. It's like leaning on a certain part of your body and the numbness and tingling happens. Aka falling asleep. Good luck and keep up the great work
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Imagine standing perfectly still for as long as you work out on the elliptical. No shifting your weight from one foot to the other or shuffling, full weight on feet the whole time. Of course your feet will get numb and sore.
    I remind myself to wriggle my toes and shirt my feet periodically and find that mostly fixes/prevents any pain/numbness
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    It's normal to get numb feet. Just shift them once in a while or you can get up on your toes for a bout of intensity every now and then.
  • SarahSloth342634
    SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I get it all the time on the Elliptical!
  • MizMareedy
    MizMareedy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I'll def. try these tips!
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    If you are getting numb feet it will usually be due to restricted blood flow. This can be many reasons, it might be the shoes, might be laces tied too tight, it might be the way you are standing. If you want to eliminate the potential that it is your shoes, do it in your socks for the same period of time that would normally bring on the numb feeling. If you still get it, then it's not the shoes, if you don't get it it may well be the shoes.