Options
do they really exist?
i know i have used it as an excuse before but was i kidding myself? :noway:

Replies

• Herewego
    Herewego Posts: 49
    Options
    Hi Natalie,

Dont take my opinion for a medical point of view but I also think that I have a big bone structure, so if my bones were lighter I would also be lighter. Might be kidding myself to though :tongue:

HWG :happy:
  • Funnydream
    Funnydream Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have also been accused of having "big bones" - and like you, I am not convinced that the condition really exists! I suppose all people will vary on their frame size/shape/joint size etc etc - we are all different, but in all in all, I think it is a fallacy. I'd love to know for sure .....interesting post!
  • Funnydream
    Options
    I found the text below on the website of "The Tyra Show" - -and have pasted here, as links don't seem to work on MFP:

"Some of us have been saying it for years: "I'm not fat. I'm just big boned!" But is there any truth to it? Are some of us just born with bigger bones than those super-slim model types? Here's what docs have to say:

Some ladies are big-boned. The catch? Only about 20 percent of women actually have bigger frames. And those women are usually really, really tall and much more muscular than your average woman. (The tennis champ Williams sisters come to mind!)

Even if you were big-boned, it wouldn't mean much on the scale. Experts say frame size -- whether you're big-boned or were born uber-petite -- doesn't make much of a difference when it comes to weight. Usually, it only affects the number on the scale by 10 or so pounds.

Big-boned are not, there's only one thing that really matters. Well, one thing aside from loving/rocking/shaking your oh-so-fierce curves. What is it? It's your waist size. (No, we're not saying you have to shrink-wrap your curves in a size 0 pair of skinny jeans to be healthy.) But those with waists smaller than 35 inches have less risk of diabetes, heart attack and stroke.

What to do without the big-boned excuse? Who needs to explain away their body type? The number on the scale -- or on the tag of those fantabulous jeans you've been dying to buy -- doesn't matter. Your health does. Besides, why give yourself a label? Instead of calling yourself "big-boned," why not just say you're happy in your skin instead?"

Read more: http://tyrashow.warnerbros.com/2008/08/is_there_such_a_thing_as_bigbo.php#ixzz0tMfVvdx1
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    Think it is to do with length of bones rather than anything else which naturally will apply to the width of us so the article mentioning the Williams sisters makes a lot of sense. Not sure what they mean by "ONLY" 10 lbs or so that is a lot!!!!!!
  • Funnydream
    Options
    I agree Batty, I thought the same!
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    thx for finding that quote it makes a lot of sense :flowerforyou: