Just Saying Hi -- Started VLCD today

Options
The orthopaedic doc says I need two new knees, and that I need to lose at least 60 pounds before it will be safe to do the surgery. After a battery of tests, he enrolled me in their nutrition management program, and I've begun a VLCD today (5 shakes and 2 protein bars per day, no regular food).

I realize the VLCDs are not usually well thought of, but I will be closely monitored during the whole process, and the program includes education, support and my doctor's medical supervision during all 3 phases (reducing, reintroduction to food, and maintenance).

Today -- Day One -- wasn't too bad, but I've been pretty consumed with thinking about the program. I know it will probably get worse before it gets better, but I can hang in there! :smile:

I'm looking forward to the support and encouragement of this community, and to adding my own encouragement to new friends along the way.

Good to meet you!

Replies

• JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Provided you are under the care of a physician to minimize risk, VLCD's are generally safe. Just make sure you have a direct line of communication should something go wrong, and don't skip appointments for checkups (as I am assuming this is an outpatient program).

Best of luck to you.
  • Kokalol
    Kokalol Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The orthopaedic doc says I need two new knees, and that I need to lose at least 60 pounds before it will be safe to do the surgery. After a battery of tests, he enrolled me in their nutrition management program, and I've begun a VLCD today (5 shakes and 2 protein bars per day, no regular food).

I realize the VLCDs are not usually well thought of, but I will be closely monitored during the whole process, and the program includes education, support and my doctor's medical supervision during all 3 phases (reducing, reintroduction to food, and maintenance).

Today -- Day One -- wasn't too bad, but I've been pretty consumed with thinking about the program. I know it will probably get worse before it gets better, but I can hang in there! :smile:

I'm looking forward to the support and encouragement of this community, and to adding my own encouragement to new friends along the way.

Good to meet you!

You got this, even when it does get rough and it will, you remember you are worth it and can press on! Whatever you use as ypur strength in life, you lean on that and press into it and ypu will get through this!! Welcome and hope you find many encouraging friends on here along the way!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @cricket_hackmann Welcome and best of success.

After having eaten LCHF for the past three years and felt all of the healing that I have experienced joint pain wise I know you will have great results in the short and long run.