Anyone else with a very busy lifestyle including a lot of traveling?

Options
Hi all. I have a stressful job that requires me to work 50-70 hour weeks and also some traveling. In Addition, I am always traveling for private reasons as well. I am usually only 1 weekend home in a month.
This makes it very challenging to have a proper routine, often it's not possible that I go to the supermarket.
Does anyone have the same problem or does anyone has tips for me?

Greatly appreciated,
Carina

Replies

• carinagoesfit
    carinagoesfit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi SurfyPants. Thx for your answer and insights. I also do a lot of mountaineering and winter sports (I live very close to the Alps). Other than that I do running & yoga, that still works despite my busy worklife.
    What I find really challenging is a proper food routine. Supermarkets are often closed when I go home, so hard to prepare healthy food. And also while traveling, it's hard to find healthy options. How do you deal with this?
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I used to have a job like this. I put on a lot of weight! Looking back I could have done better! A colleague would always go to a supermarket after checking into our hotel. She would buy bottled water and fruit. She also swam in hotel pool every night. My uncle is in sales and had to eat out with clients all the time so he always orders fish in restaurants. At home why not stock your freezer with easy options? And takeout can be healthy - my favourite sushi meal is only 400 calories. You also can get canned organic food at health stores e.g. amy's veg chilli. You could also microwave more e.g. microwave a potato and eat it with canned chilli. You can also order online at a lot of supermarkets and they will deliver your groceries on an agreed date. If you have the money why not hire a caterer to make you some freezer entrees to just reheat?
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I don't have this problem, so I will probably be no help. I'm often very very busy but I do not travel. My advice for you is try to go to a store wherever you are and try to get some healthy quick options or if you are ordering out or going out to eat pay attention to calories I'd ask how many calories are in it or ask what food is in it so you can pick it apart to atleast have an idea of how many calories are in it!
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Most of the restaurants in the EU have healthy options and portions. It's just a matter of requesting food without sauces and limiting oneself to more simple foods at the breakfast bars. Walk every where possible and hit the gym in the hotels. Don't drink a lot of alcohol...
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I would love if you could add me as a freind
    What I do is carrying food with me. I look at yelp to locate healthy choices and you can always order if you don’t have time. I bring food for the times I am too hungry to think.
  • MarcA1218
    MarcA1218 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    My last job I was in a different US state every other week. It was hard to eat right but I started going to the more expensive restaurants because that helped me pick more healthy choices- salad was cheaper than steak and so on. Now I work closer to home and really struggle with what I eat- add me if want maybe we can help each other.
  • ajmc87
    ajmc87 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I travel around Northern California Tuesday-Friday, staying in hotels along my route -- I do deliveries and cold call sales for Dippin' Dots Ice Cream. I'm not on the road as often as you, (only 4 days each week) but I can share my routine if it can be helpful.
    Note: all my food is purchased at Costco. I find keeping meals simple and consistent makes it easy to track calories and macros.

-- I set aside time every Monday evening to prep all my meals for the week: I grill up a ton of chicken breast, steam broccoli, and weight it into containers for each day on my route
    -- I bring unsweetened almond milk and protein powder to make protein shakes (with a shaker bottle)
    -- I bring protein bars (Costco brand - same macros as Quest and equally tasty)
    -- For breakfast I actually have a personal-size blender ($20 at Wal-Mart) that I use to make smoothies (spinach, frozen blueberries, protein powder, and almond milk). The frozen blueberries are made possible by keeping them in the freezers with the Dippin' Dots.
    -- Planet Fitness offers a $25/month premium membership that allows access to ALL of their locations (I don't use it, but I've thought about it in the past)
    -- For fitness, I aim for 5 days each week in the gym. If I can get an early workout before I leave on Tuesday and again on Friday night late when I return, then I can get my 5 days (Fri-Tues). My company only pays for cheap hotels, most of which do not have gyms. And when they do have a small workout room (treadmill and a few weights), it is usually full.
    -- I also have a small 12V "road stove" that I got on Amazon for like $20. It plugs in to the car outlet and heats up food in about 20-30 min

I don't know if any of this is helpful, but I figured it is worth a shot!
  • carinagoesfit
    carinagoesfit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Guys, thank you so much for sharing all this tips and insights. Some of it is very useful!!! :) if you have any more, please share! Thx
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am in corporate sales, with a young family at home. You are describing my life. On the road, I think of it as an excellent opportunity to get fish, chicken and vegetables prepared in ways that I never get around to at home, and can often start with a broth soup or green salad to take the edge off in a low - calorie way. I fit in a workout when I can, honestly. Not as often as I'd like, but as they say, abs are made in the kitchen (or restaurant in this case).
  • Rich71bat
    Rich71bat Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Sound in a similar position to me. I find travelling very difficult but try to build in some exercise to help even if only a walk / run so I get to see some new places too. Feel free to add me