just dont know where to start

Options
I'll try make this a simple as possible

basically i was adopted at 2 years old and arrived being an extremely fussy eater over the years my mum tried to get me to eat healthy food but i would and could not do it even now the thought of going to a restaurant where im not sure if ill eat anything or the thought of trying new foods brings on panic attacks the gp said it possibly stems from a psychological issue relating to food before my mum had me

i am alot better than i was as a child i would only eat chicken nuggets, fish fingers, gravy or bread and butter or potato, and i now eat most meat but i cannot eat vegetables or salad or go anywhere near milk as you can imagine this makes dieting very difficult!!! i have tried to psyc myself up but as soon as its on the fork im panicing and cant go through with it

just wondered if anyone else is suffering or has suffered from anything similar and wondered if you had any advice.

I have seen a dietician and been reduced to tears when she told me i had to eat one vegetable a day

i know its a strange phobia to have but its a strong phobia of trying anything new!!

any help would be fantastic

thanks

x

Replies

• SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Start with a psychologist or some other kind of mental health professional
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

So much this.
  • greatwestescape
    Options
    Do not see a counselor, you need to a see a Psychologist that specializes in cognitive behavioral therapy and/or shaping. Believe it or not, I don't think your case will be incredibly difficult to address. 10-12 sessions and you should be able to eat vegetables (you will still feel uneasy) as long as there isn't other issues (alcoholism, substance abuse, severe emotional trauma from other things).

CBT focuses on the present and avoids for the most part diving to deep into past issues. It is very effective for this type of thing :)
    I'll try make this a simple as possible

basically i was adopted at 2 years old and arrived being an extremely fussy eater over the years my mum tried to get me to eat healthy food but i would and could not do it even now the thought of going to a restaurant where im not sure if ill eat anything or the thought of trying new foods brings on panic attacks the gp said it possibly stems from a psychological issue relating to food before my mum had me

i am alot better than i was as a child i would only eat chicken nuggets, fish fingers, gravy or bread and butter or potato, and i now eat most meat but i cannot eat vegetables or salad or go anywhere near milk as you can imagine this makes dieting very difficult!!! i have tried to psyc myself up but as soon as its on the fork im panicing and cant go through with it

just wondered if anyone else is suffering or has suffered from anything similar and wondered if you had any advice.

I have seen a dietician and been reduced to tears when she told me i had to eat one vegetable a day

i know its a strange phobia to have but its a strong phobia of trying anything new!!

any help would be fantastic

thanks

x
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options

This ^ You are not alone, there are other's who have the same phobia. If you have Netflix, check out "Freaky Eaters" it's a show about people going through what you are and getting help :)
  • feffynj
    feffynj Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As an aside, I'm using The Beck Diet Solution along with this site as part of my fitness/weight loss goals. It's written by Dr. Judith Beck, the daughter of Dr. Aaron Beck who founded Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. The book uses CBT techniques and it's been very helpful to me.