Serotonin Diet? Losing weight on Ads

Options

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    cherys wrote: »
    Nony, I used to do yoga until a few months ago, and loved it. But had to give up temporarily due to work schedule and dind't go back to it. I need to restart. And yes, probably do need to discuss meds. Though I've tried pretty much everything on the market over the years. It's a long term thing, not a blip. Just can't work out if I'd be better off thin, sad and mad as I was before than fat, sluggish and a bit less mad. :smile:

Hardest thing is getting back on the mat. Once you do, you'll go 'omg, why haven't I been doing this??'.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Hardest thing is getting back on the mat. Once you do, you'll go 'omg, why haven't I been doing this??'.

Yes. I'm so aware I'll be the fattest person in the room, and yoga is not flatteirng is it, when you are waving your bum in the air for most of the session. But I do love it, and have a good teacher nearby. No excuses.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Yes. I'm so aware I'll be the fattest person in the room, and yoga is not flatteirng is it, when you are waving your bum in the air for most of the session. But I do love it, and have a good teacher nearby. No excuses.

Start out by doing some at home if it's easier. Though, having that goal of going to a class would be good for you. And remember, no one will be judging you. That would be very un-yogic!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this. Back in 2014, after a long, long time of just about coping and having reached peak fitness, I decided to try an anti depressant called Cymbalta, aka Duloxetine, because I did still struggle with a lot of anger and it was helping my friend who, like myself, has Asperger's. Anyway, this co-incided with my moving to a new flat and basically, I went from hitting the gym 10-12 hours per week to zilch. I was so tired, so sluggish and basically, nothing seemed to matter at all anymore. I cannot recall what I ate back then although I don't remember specifically eating a lot of junk. I had been on ADs before, but none had ever impacted me this way. I ended up hitting a size I had never been in my life (my first time of being remotely overweight) within a matter of months. I took the step of weaning myself off the medication and have not dared to go back on one since, even though I am struggling immensely with a lot of anger and depression. I just do not want to end up like that again as my physical size has a great impact on how I feel as well.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

Look up Jessamyne Stanley on youtube--there are lots of inspiring large girls doing yoga nowadays. And if you're that self-conscious at your studio, it's time to find a new studio where you feel comfortable.

With respect to you just wanting to sleep--talk to your doctor... Maybe you need a dosage tweak, or maybe you need a different med. Do not--I repeat--do NOT change your dose or stop taking your meds on your own.

(I lost weight when I was on ADs--that was just how my depression manifested itself. Now prednisone--that's another story for me...)
  • cherys
    Options

Grael, that's interesting. I've decided I am going to wean off them and keep my mood topped up with lots of exercise and very healthy foods. If it doesn't work, I can always return to them. Have you tried breathing meditation or affirmations, Grael, for anger? They might help.

Mitch, thanks for the suggestion of Jessamyne Stanley. I'll look her up. Well, I've just come back from a long walk in the fresh air and what a surprise, it improved my mood!
    I'm going to:
    Log food
    Walk 10k steps a day
    Eat 8-10 portions fresh veg a day
    drink 8 glasses water a day

Can't rid the house of snacks, as I live with a 6'2" man and two teen boys who eat like horses. I never buy snacks, but they do, and if I ask them not to, they don't for a day or two then 'forget'. The house has permanent multipacks of crisps and biscuits. But I can ask them to buy stuff I dislike because I'd never knowingly eat an Oreo or a HobNob after tasting them once.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Grael, that's interesting. I've decided I am going to wean off them and keep my mood topped up with lots of exercise and very healthy foods. If it doesn't work, I can always return to them. Have you tried breathing meditation or affirmations, Grael, for anger? They might help.

Mitch, thanks for the suggestion of Jessamyne Stanley. I'll look her up. Well, I've just come back from a long walk in the fresh air and what a surprise, it improved my mood!
    I'm going to:
    Log food
    Walk 10k steps a day

Can't rid the house of snacks, as I live with a 6'2" man and two teen boys who eat like horses. I never buy snacks, but they do, and if I ask them not to, they don't for a day or two then 'forget'. The house has permanent multipacks of crisps and biscuits. But I can ask them to buy stuff I dislike because I'd never knowingly eat an Oreo or a HobNob after tasting them once.

My husband is a crazy snacker too, but we’ve hit a good balance with him avoiding keeping my particular binge foods in the house - potato chips in particular. He likes chips, but he likes Oreos and ice cream too, which I have no trouble avoiding, so he keeps those in the house and eats chips at work. Figuring out healthier snacks we both like has helped too - for me, cheese and fruit are great snacks I rarely overeat halthough I know lots of people have issues with cheese, sadly).

I’m sorry you’re struggling so much right now. I’ve been on anti-depressants since adolescence but luckily never experienced increased appetite as a side effect. A couple of people have mentioned logging calories as a goal in and of itself, and the sense of control it provides even when you’re still eating more than you like. I have absolutely experienced this. I logged for several months before I got the kick in the butt to start losing weight, and being able to look back at that data and really understand why I was gaining weight was a huge help. Plus, it taught me how to weigh food and estimate when you can’t weigh, and those can be tricky skills at first! Good luck!
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I 've been on a 5 or 6 different AD 's over last two years in addition being hypothyroid and taking another type of Ad's for pain management.

I 've been recently put on antipsychotic Seroquel as I 've been diagnosed with Bipolar affective disorder.
    Over last few years I have gained and lost weight regardless of what medication I'm on.

I have lost 7kg just using MFP so no ,they don't make you gain weight but you have to log everything and be honest with yourself.

I am currently doubling my dose of Seroquel to 100 mg and feel like crap,lethargic ,nausea ,exhausted...my tip is to do what you can.
    Whenever I can I go for a hike on the weekends so even if I miss few workouts I know I ve done something good for myself.
    Believe me I know how rubbish meds can make you feel but don't blame them for weight gain.
    Whenever I tried really hard I 've lost weight .

I don't have a huge deficit,I still have treats and I am losing slowly but I'm fine with that.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    That’s interesting. I follow a diet like that, and it really does make me feel happier. I do it for the ‘most nutrition per calorie’ reason, but I also struggle with feeling sad and anxious. I do get horrible anxiety and feel sad if I don’t eat right and work out regularly. I’ve eaten this way for years. Working out makes an enormous difference for me also, and helps me to cut back on booze, which I tend to self medicate with.
  • cherys
    Options
    Mega, it's really interesting that you found logging your food helped even when you were still overeating. I'm going to try that. I tend to slope way from the logging in if I start overeating. Biut you're right. It would show the pattern of when and what. The triggers.
    Passenger, I'm impressed you have the fight and self discipline in you, with all those meds, to still exercise. I have a lot of calls on my time - son and elderly parents all with health problems, self-employed so quite isolated working from home and very sedentary (though I love my job).
    Sunnybrooke - what diet do you follow - wasn't sure what you referred to and want to know what diet makes you feel happier.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Mega, it's really interesting that you found logging your food helped even when you were still overeating. I'm going to try that. I tend to slope way from the logging in if I start overeating. Biut you're right. It would show the pattern of when and what. The triggers.
    Passenger, I'm impressed you have the fight and self discipline in you, with all those meds, to still exercise. I have a lot of calls on my time - son and elderly parents all with health problems, self-employed so quite isolated working from home and very sedentary (though I love my job).
    Sunnybrooke - what diet do you follow - wasn't sure what you referred to and want to know what diet makes you feel happier.

I admit that logging without trying to lose seems silly, but I felt like it was something I could actually DO at a time when I didn't feel prepared to actual try for a deficit, and now that I'm losing, I'm really glad that I did. I think a lot of people slip up on logging when they eat at a surplus for whatever reason, but I find that maintaining the discipline to track as accurately as possible makes me feel better - it puts overeating into perspective. And yeah, I was pretty sure where my triggers were, but seeing it set down in calorie form really helped me get to a place to cut back.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Logging the overeating days is key for me. It tends to stop its continuing in its tracks.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

I'm going to:
    Log food
    Walk 10k steps a day

It never ceases to amaze me how much better I can feel just getting out for a walk.

Please don't come off the meds without talking to your doctor. They can be tricky beasts, even when you're tapering carefully.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    edited because I was too slow to post and the conversation moved on.

I've been on the anti-depressant merrygoround for over 25 years, thankfully seroquel and lamictal have been the right combo for the last 7 years. I've gained weight and lost it while taking the various meds. I can tell you that in my case the hunger issues were less noticiable over time and when I've gained it's been because of losing focus over stress rather than because of the meds. I've successfully lost almost 40 lbs over the last 18 months and am able to keep it off without constant hunger or cravings. Hopefully my experience will be of some help :)