A program without bench press

Options
I cannot explain it adequately to you, but for some reason, I am rather scared of bench press. If I did it, I usually went with much lower weights than I could/should have.
I am okay with most other stuff, but the problem is that any reasonable beginner program I have seen so far always includes bench press.
I have been sick for a while and I will probably need to start from the very beginners point again this weekend. This is a chance to try an actual program again, instead of just... well, doing whatever I fell like while avoiding bench press. I need a guideline I can follow, otherwise I just will get lost again.

Is there a beginners program that does not include this specific lift? Maybe replaces it with something else? I am not looking to specifically building the glutes or such, I am looking to build a moderate amount of muscle overall, to be (and look) generally healthy and reasonably strong.
Right now I am skinny and on the edge of underweight, so I will have to start slow and my fear of getting caught under a weight I cannot handle is actually stronger now than when I first started.

My gym does not offer a bench rack that would give me some safety, most times when I work out there is no one to spot available. I cannot afford (money and time wise) to change the gym for the next months, so I will have to make do.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Can you substitute dumbbell bench press? What about other chest exercises? Otherwise, (perhaps an unpopular opinion), skip it and work something else?

Once I started working out again after my second baby, I had to skip bench press and other direct chest exercises for quite a few months. It was just too uncomfortable for me. I did work it indirectly in other ways. Obviously I lost some strength in that lift when I started up again, but meh, it didn't really make a difference for me (I am not a powerlifter competing in the sport)
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Agreed re substituting with dumbbells.
    I totally get the safety thing. Even most dedicated bench press racks don't actually have safeties! When I'm lifting at the edge of what I can do, I always get a spotter or build myself a bench press station in a squat cage that does have the safety bars!
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Bench in the power rack. If you set the safety bars right you’ll be totally safe. Otherwise dumbbells are good. I get more worried with them as it seems to stress my shoulder more. Still if your are afraid of the bar you might be good with them. Good luck!
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    The bench at my gym doesn't have safeties either, and setting up in a power rack is too much of a hassle.
    I deal with it by knowing my limits and tracking RPE/RIR (rate of perceived exertion/reps in reserve) every set. When you've done this for a while, you get pretty good at knowing how far you can safely push yourself when benching.

That being said, the easiest solution is to substitute barbell bench pressing with something else. Barbell bench pressing isn't some magic exercise that has to be done.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You should try floor press with dumbbells and slowly work up in weight.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice. But how would I "count" dumbbell presses in comparison to standard bench press? If my progression is to add 5 lbs every now and then, how would a sensible progression be with dumbbells? I probably can't just press half the weight on each side, right?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »
    Thank you for all the advice. But how would I "count" dumbbell presses in comparison to standard bench press? If my progression is to add 5 lbs every now and then, how would a sensible progression be with dumbbells? I probably can't just press half the weight on each side, right?

Start with 85-90% of the Barbell recommendation, and add 2.5 every now and then... if you can't add 2.5... add 5 every other time, eventually, It will be every 3rd time, but by then, you should be able to go to barbell as you'll be more comfortable with the movement.

With dumbbell, you can actually work chest a bit more than barbell(because it's easier to cue).

1. start with the dumbbells on your knees( or on the floor, and lift them to your knees) You can use both hands if necessary(at first you shouldn't need to.
    2. lay down and rotate/kick the dumbells into position at about your shoulders
    3. Press them up... either straight up, or slightly together on an incline till they touch in the center
    4. When done, rotate the dumbells back to your knees as you sit up(to protect your shoulders) If you have to dump/fail the dumbbells, that's fine, but don't make it your standard practice. As the Bells get heavier, you may need to lift your knees and sort of kip to a seated position... That's fine.
  • skymningen
    Options

Start with 85-90% of the Barbell recommendation, and add 2.5 every now and then... if you can't add 2.5... add 5 every other time, eventually, It will be every 3rd time, but by then, you should be able to go to barbell as you'll be more comfortable with the movement.

With dumbbell, you can actually work chest a bit more than barbell(because it's easier to cue).

1. start with the dumbbells on your knees( or on the floor, and lift them to your knees) You can use both hands if necessary(at first you shouldn't need to.
    3. Press them up... either straight up, or slightly together on an incline till they touch in the center
    4. When done, rotate the dumbells back to your knees as you sit up(to protect your shoulders) If you have to dump/fail the dumbbells, that's fine, but don't make it your standard practice. As the Bells get heavier, you may need to lift your knees and sort of kip to a seated position... That's fine.

Thank you for the info on calculating the weight with dumbbells. I will have to scout out what options I have for increments of adding weights (we measure in kg here, so 2.5 lbs are hard to come by).
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Consider floor press. Lay on the floor. Use the floor as your spotter.
  • skymningen
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Consider floor press. Lay on the floor. Use the floor as your spotter.
    I can do that at the point where the weights I can put on the bar have a large enough diameter to not crush me first before hitting the ground. But the weights I can press right now are smaller than my chest. I would love to do it, but that doesn't really work with my fear.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Thank you for the info on calculating the weight with dumbbells. I will have to scout out what options I have for increments of adding weights (we measure in kg here, so 2.5 lbs are hard to come by).

2.2 lbs is plenty close. aka 1 kg.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    most gyms I go to have a machine that mimics the bench press. There is the PEC Deck Machine, and also a seated bench press, both machines have you seated upright and pushing outward (or sweeping like in a hugging motion). if not pushups are a good place to start, dumbbells are another viable option.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I concur with dumb bell bench press. I alternate between that and barbell bench press. The way you feel about bench press is the way I feel about deadlifts. They scare me so I've found lots of alternate exercises that don't involve barbell deadlifts and my legs are still growing.
  • skymningen
    Options
    most gyms I go to have a machine that mimics the bench press. There is the PEC Deck Machine, and also a seated bench press, both machines have you seated upright and pushing outward (or sweeping like in a hugging motion). if not pushups are a good place to start, dumbbells are another viable option.

I had to google the machines and I think my gym actually has that Pec Deck one. So that would train the same muscles? That sounds like a reasonable and safe way to swap them out until I am able to conquer my fear (which I hope I eventually will). Thank you!

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    I deal with it by knowing my limits and tracking RPE/RIR (rate of perceived exertion/reps in reserve) every set. When you've done this for a while, you get pretty good at knowing how far you can safely push yourself when benching.
    In all due respect, RPE is hardly relevant to the OP who is looking to run a beginner program.

RPE really shouldn't be considered unless the person is near advanced lifter status.

OP, I would use...
    1. A cage with bench set up inside with rails.

2. Floor press with bumper plates, which will be larger in diameter than your standard lower weights.

3. Variations of the bench such as incline DB, flat DB, along with OHP.