Weight lifting from home?

Options
michaelsvance
michaelsvance Posts: 16 Member
edited October 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Between my work schedule and my family at home, I find it hard to get to the gym. I bought T25 and went through the program which helped me drop 22lbs. I still have some more weight to lose, but I now want to incorporate more weight lifting and lighten up on the cardio, but as I mentioned before, going to a gym is hard for me to do. I've done some research and I found out that you can use dumbbells to work pretty much any muscle group in the body. I want to know if there is any truth to that? Is dumbbells all I need to start building muscle? Also, has anyone else done workouts strictly from home and have great results (muscle building results)?

Replies

• FlufferCat
    FlufferCat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells are great.Look up a dumbbell program on YouTube.I'm sure there are many.Lee Hayward,AthleanX,Starting Strength,good channels.
    You can start out with an adjustable set,or buy some cheap hex head.
    A bench will also really help.You'll need it at some point.You could also get some heavy rubber bands.
    I have a whole gym set up at home.Bought it over the years,Never regret it.
    I got most of my equipment from fitness factory outlet.But you do have to assemble it of course.
    I'm sure you find good equipment from any of the major sporting goods,or department stores too.
    Good luck.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Yep, dumbbells can certainly work. In most cases, I suspect you'll also want an adjustable bench to go with them, but you don't HAVE to have a full gym in your basement to get good results at home.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You need progressive resistance and sufficient nutrition in order to build muscle. Your body doesn't know if the resistance comes from barbells or dumbbells or kettlebells or anything else so you are fine using dumbbells. Here are three possible programs. There are certainly other suitable programs as well.

* Fierce 5 (note that there are several variations from beginner to advanced, 3-5 day, plus a dumbbell program) - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162916931&p=1266578971&viewfull=1#post1266578971
    * Frankoman’s Dumbbell Only Split - https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/frankoman-dumbbell-only-split.html
    * Full body dumbbell routine (note: women and men can use the same rep range, if you want to go low do it, if you want to go high do it. I promise that neither will make you gain or lose a Y chromosome.) - https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You can use dumbbells, but at some point you're going to need bigger ones and eventually barbells and plates. I'd watch Craig's list for used gear. Also Titan Fitness has some good equipment (racks, benches, etc) for much cheaper than rogue, however, for bar's you might want to look into rouge's boneyard bars. They're a bit cheaper and still good.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You can use dumbbells, but at some point you're going to need bigger ones and eventually barbells and plates. I'd watch Craig's list for used gear. Also Titan Fitness has some good equipment (racks, benches, etc) for much cheaper than rogue, however, for bar's you might want to look into rouge's boneyard bars. They're a bit cheaper and still good.

I get your point about watching CL for used gear and needing increasingly heavy dbs if the OP wants to add strength (or size) long term but not everybody who lifts weights ends up using barbells.
  • FatWithFatness
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I get your point about watching CL for used gear and needing increasingly heavy dbs if the OP wants to add strength (or size) long term but not everybody who lifts weights ends up using barbells.

They do if they want to continue adding strength. Size? Sure, they can do ALL of the volume, hell even do GVT.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily need weights but I agree with FlufferCat (great name, btw), I've accumulated a good deal of equipment over about 5 years and love having it at home. I barely liked going to the gym in college (from a social and/or convenience standpoint) when it was included with tuition, can't imagine I'd like it any more now having to pay for it and working it in my schedule along with everyone else there. I'll list out the details on what I have from where below if you're curious, skip passed the next wall of text for what I'd recommend.

I started with the cheapest of cheap DBs from WalMart and a pull-up bar I found for cheap at TJ Maxx of all places. Pretty sure the DBs were a Gold's Gym vinyl-covered, came with 10s and 5s or something like that. Got the job down for a bit, had a gift card and caught a sale on a set of Bowflex Selectech DBs on Amazon. I'm sure the UPS guy was happy about that box. Just got the ones that go up to 52.5 each, not the big ones, love them to death, still in good shape, used them this morning and just about every workout since I got them back in 2/2012. The only negative thing I can say about them is they're really wide and can be cumbersome to use for some things prescribed in P90X and P90X3. You also could damage the plates doing things like renegade rows with them. I also started with a cheap Marcy adjustable bench (also amazon, maybe $60). It's certainly not the sturdiest thing, I'm not the biggest guy (6'1" 180) and haven't ever had issues but I'd be wary if you're bigger or really hard on your stuff. It's also not very long so any taller could be problematic as well. Would also caution against something light-duty if you want to do step-ups or anything involving standing on a bench. I do still use that bench for some accessory stuff and decline sit-ups. Overall, not bad at all for the price. Eventually opted to move up to barbell exercises and purchased a fitness gear olympic bench combo from Dick's Sporting Goods. It's certainly not Rogue or even Dick's brand targeted at Rogue, ETHOS, but it's certainly gotten the job done for me. Little bit of a safety-third approach as I use what are intended to be safety bars on the reverse side of the rack to squat from and just use the j-hooks for benching... I know, for shame. Found a set of CAP plates and bar at Dunham's for $175 (300lbs and a 45lb 7 ft bar). Have since progressed to where more plates were necessary so i picked up a second set of the same makeup of fitness gear bar/plates from Dick's a few months ago. Neither set are bumper plates, probably will be my next purchase down the line. I also found a joist-mounted pull-up bar on amazon when I moved down to the basement, way nicer to do pull-ups on something sturdy and a little higher off the ground. Rounding out the equipment are a 45lb kettlebell (way too heavy, hardly use it, poorly using it probably contributed a lower back injury I incurred on myself last fall), mid-range gymnastic rings, push-up stands, a heavy bag, a spin bike, and Concept2 Rower. Listing it all out like that makes it sounds like I have a problem, but I view all of these pieces as an investment and the Mrs. and I use most of it frequently. I'd take a guess at having spent around $2000 on all that over the last five years (not evenly of course). $2000/5/12 = $33.33/month which to me easily justifies the cost when comparing to a gym membership.

If I were starting all over looking at DBs and a bench I'd opt for the following:

- BowFlex Select tech DBs
    - A high quality adjustable bench you could eventually pair with a rack for barbell use
    - Pull-up bar

The bench will seem like overkill to start with but in retrospect I wish I would've invested a little more in my bench and full power rack for safety and utility. I've stumbled on a deal on a full power rack a few times but would also mean I'd have to get a new separate bench. I'm also a sucker for nice things, I know it wouldn't really help my lifts or progress any but the ETHOS stuff is sexy, really wanted to pull the trigger on the full set of bumper plates and that bar when I got the second bar/plates from Dick's but that would've been almost 4x the cost.
  • caseytoole
    caseytoole Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest the P90X from BeachBody, similar to T25 but more muscle building. It uses dumbbells, resistance bands and a pull up bar. Also full bodyweight exercises are great for working out from home. I use an app called "Fitbod" which you can specify which gym equipment you have available to you, or choose the setting for bodyweight only (great for travel). It generates a full body workout for you. My home gym includes a exercise ball, real gymnastics mat (love it since it is large and won't slide around - kids play on it too), dumbbells - increments of 2.5 lbs from 5 to 15lb, assorted resistance bands and a doorjamb pull up bar, which you can also use for pushups. Good luck.
  • BishopWankapin
    BishopWankapin Posts: 276 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Progressive strength training, in order to stay progressive requires an increase in resistance. This can be done one of two ways...more weight, or more reps. Depending on your goals, there is a high likelihood that you're going to reach the limit on reps and sets you can add due to time constraints and strain on your central nervous system and joints. The more efficient means of increase then is by adding weight. Sure, you can get bigger dumbbells, kettlebells, or whatever other training implements you want, but by the time you've paid for enough of those, you could have started off with a few, added in some bodyweight, and saved the cash to buy barbell, bench, rack, and what have you. As @FatWithFatness suggested, this can be accomplished quicker by keeping an eye on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

They do if they want to continue adding strength. Size? Sure, they can do ALL of the volume, hell even do GVT.

There are other ways to increase load than barbells.

And practically speaking, other than *kitten measuring* there's practical limits to the need to increase strength.

If I can run 100 yards with a 200 lb man on my back, while wearing body armor/plate carrier, there's really no benefit to being able to squat 500lbs vs 300. And that 300lbs can be simulated with a 100 lb dumbbell/Kbell and a single leg press or 100 lb + vest/ruck and single leg reps.

OA pull-ups with a 100 lb belt/chain is an exercise that can't be replicated with a bar, and for which no bar exercise will prepare you.
  • BishopWankapin
    edited October 2017
    Options

And practically speaking, other than *kitten measuring* there's practical limits to the need to increase strength.

If I can run 100 yards with a 200 lb man on my back, while wearing body armor/plate carrier, there's really no benefit to being able to squat 500lbs vs 300. And that 300lbs can be simulated with a 100 lb dumbbell/Kbell and a single leg press or 100 lb + vest/ruck and single leg reps.

OA pull-ups with a 100 lb belt/chain is an exercise that can't be replicated with a bar, and for which no bar exercise will prepare you.

TIL: Barbell lifters are all about measuring kittens because an exercise that primarily focuses on lats which aren't effectively hit by many barbell exercises. Also, OP, do you have any 200 lb friends who want to ride you? If so, you might want to hit stanman up for his training plan.

ETA: Though stan is right...there are other ways to increase load rather than barbells though some of them may or may not be cost/time effective depending on your specific goals. (And again, the availability of friends who want to ride you.) You can also look into sandbag/bulgarian bags. I enjoy the occasional workout with them, and they can be adapted to damn near any environment.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't get hex dumbbells...you'll probably out grown them in a month or two.

I would go to a big box store, get a bench for sure. If it comes with weights, great. If not, pick up a box dumbbell package. I prefer the cast sets vs vinyl, since you can stack more plates with a cast. While you can get by without a bench, it makes dumbbell presses so much easier and more effective...or you can just use your coffee table for now if cash is an issue! :)

Once you outgrow this package, you can always add on. Only place I see where you might need more and a bar is on legs (squats). With cast you can load up two dumbbells enough where it will get you by for now, at least until you're into some heavy squat weight. As someone else said, you can pick up bands, and that can be used to help offset the requirement for heavy resistance w/o a loaded up bar.
  • FatWithFatness
    Options
    TicoCortez wrote: »

TIL: Barbell lifters are all about measuring kittens because an exercise that primarily focuses on lats isn't effectively targeted by many barbell exercises. Also, OP, do you have any 200 lb friends who want to ride you? If so, you might want to hit stanman up for his training plan.

ETA: Though stan is right...there are other ways to increase load rather than barbells though some of them may or may not be cost/time effective depending on your specific goals. (And again, the availability of friends who want to ride you.) You can also look into sandbag/bulgarian bags. I enjoy the occasional workout with them, and they can be adapted to damn near any environment.

Did you know that 300/2=100?

Obviously load can be increased without barbells and plates, but that's the most pragmatic method, and I'm all for weighted dips and chins, arm day everyday. Guess what most racks have? Pull-up bars... oh and you can get dip attachments too.

I just did a quick CL search and found 600lbs of plates and a bar for 150 dollars...

You're not going to get the same effect if you're trying to snatch or power clean dumbbells either. Just depends on your goals.

Finally, the benefit of being able to squat 500lbs? being able to squat 500lbs...

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

TIL: Barbell lifters are all about measuring kittens because an exercise that primarily focuses on lats isn't effectively targeted by many barbell exercises. Also, OP, do you have any 200 lb friends who want to ride you? If so, you might want to hit stanman up for his training plan.

Obviously load can be increased without barbells and plates, but that's the most pragmatic method, and I'm all for weighted dips and chins, arm day everyday. Guess what most racks have? Pull-up bars... oh and you can get dip attachments too.

I'll bet you any money, that a person who can do a 100 lb pistol can do a correct 300 lb back squat.

And there's several factors at play..

1. A loaded pistol is a front squat
    2. The asymmetry is not a direct *2.

Also, the math is (180/2 +100)*2... which is 380. So probably closer to 430 for the actual 1RM

I just did a quick CL search and found 600lbs of plates and a bar for 150 dollars...

You're not going to get the same effect if you're trying to snatch or power clean dumbbells either. Just depends on your goals.

Finally, the benefit of being able to squat 500lbs? being able to squat 500lbs...

Got it, big *kitten*, colour me suitably impressed.

See my profile photo for how impressed I am.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Laughing my *kitten* off at "kitten measuring". I can't imagine that your average kitten requires that much measuring, but whatever rocks your boat.

Along the lines of the OP's question, I've been nervous about starting weight lifting or body weight exercises on my own because I hear a lot about how much form matters, and the last thing I want to do is hurt myself. There was a whole thread on squats I was reading yesterday that made my head hurt. I assume people wouldn't recommend various do-it-at-home programs if they weren't seeing results, but I wouldn't mind some reassurance on the form issue.
  • BishopWankapin
    edited October 2017
    Options

I'll bet you any money, that a person who can do a 100 lb pistol can do a correct 300 lb back squat.

Also, the math is (180/2 +100)*2... which is 380. So probably closer to 430 for the actual 1RM

Wait. What? Dude, I'm going to say this. Clearly you're jacked. You're stronger and have more dexterity and better balance than me. I will 100% give you that and say great *kitten* job.

But do you know why I think you might not know anything about lifting mechanics? You'll bet any money that someone who has built up to a 100 pound pistol squat can do a correct 300 lb. back squat, and you obviously know that the pistol squat is a front squat and a back squat is a back squat. The mechanics, and balance are completely different for the two. If someone hasn't trained for a proper back squat, and if they have only trained loaded front squats I'm willing to bet you any money that their back squat will be *kitten*. There's more to strength than just muscle fiber activation. Your second point makes me think you know this but your main premise makes me think you don't know what we both think you might know, and makes me not know what the actual *kitten* you're trying to say. I think.

Edited for clarity.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options

It also makes it a lot easier to carry a 200 lb man 100 yards.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    nevermind. What's the point...
  • FatWithFatness
    Options

Thanks for the compliment.