Need some ideas

Options
Hey guys. I live in California so right now my county is on fire. It is fairly contained in my town but the smoke is still so thick you can't see more than a few houses down and it is raining ash. Needless to say no one can go outside for very long right now. It has been like this for a week or so and will continue to be like this for several weeks until the wildfires all around us are contained and the wind can remove the smoke. However, I have a race in 2 weeks and I am so stir crazy I just want to run. So my question is do you guys have any creative ways to run or work the same muscles as running when you can't go outside? I don't have a gym membership because I can't afford it and I don't own a treadmill sooo anyone got any ideas of how to run when you are trapped inside?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Climb the walls inside your home or evacuate to a training facility far from dry fuel and high winds. The most realistic suggestion here is to ask for a refund on your race entry fee, as with the short-term weather forecast you have no idea if you'll be alive to run it.
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    how about jumping jacks or jumping rope? if you want more like running there's a move where you put your hands up out about waist level then lift your knees to them alternating legs.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansome videos. They may be online. Or you can do much the same thing yourself: put on some music and walk briskly or jog in place. Mix it up with high knees, side steps, grapevine, and low kicks. Or, go to the library and pick up a selection of exercise dvds. There are also a lot online - Jillian Michaels used to have you-tube videos and probably others from the Biggest Loser did as well.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    See if one of the local gyms, the Y or maybe your city's athletic club offer day passes so you can get a few runs in on the TM.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Burpees? They'll tire you out.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Run in place.

Or run outdoors wearing a P100 respirator. :+1:
  • victory68
    victory68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! These are great ideas. This morning the power came back on at anytime fitness and so they opened themselves up to be free to the community!! They didn't have hot water but they offered their showers to evacuees and offered yoga classes and free run of the gym for the community. I was able to get my stircrazy butt on a treadmill and run a PB!! In the weeks to come I will totally be using your guy's suggestions too. Thank you
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    be safe. Take in indoors, but sometimes there are things that are a little more important as you can well attest to!