Stomach apron

Options
rickiimarieee
rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have lost about 30 pounds and I have had no luck in shrinking my stomach apron (the extra skin and extra fat that hang below your belly button) I got it after having my little one but now I weigh less than prepregnancy any ideas on how to shrink it? I looked up how to get rid of the stomach apron and a video popped up, she was wearing plastic wrap and used a cream made of Vicks vaporub, cinnamon, and coconut oil and left it on while she worked out and what not she appeared much smaller afterwards which makes me very skeptical, could that work? Sorry if this isn't the greatest question but I'm honestly curious on how to lose this.

I'm also 128-129 and I'm 5'4. I was 158

Replies

• belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. You can spot train. Any of these creams/wraps are placebo junk. Accept your body and just live healthy, imo.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    belleflop wrote: »
    You can't spot reduce. You can spot train. Any of these creams/wraps are placebo junk. Accept your body and just live healthy, imo.

I know you can't spot reduce but I feel like with the 30 pounds I've lost it should of shrank which it hasn't.
  • belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Options

I know you can't spot reduce but I feel like with the 30 pounds I've lost it should of shrank which it hasn't.

Mostly genetics. Everyone is different in this regard. My suggestion would be just continue your journey and work on lowering your body fat%.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options

Mostly genetics. Everyone is different in this regard. My suggestion would be just continue your journey and work on lowering your body fat%.

I'm kinda stuck at this weight I haven't had the best luck losing anymore
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    It should firm up some with time.One of my sons lost over 100lbs & his firmed up some after time. Before I lost weight, a friend who uses the "It Works" products uses the wrap, so I tried it 2 times, it did firm me up a little so I can't say it doesn't work at all, won't hurt to give it a try, or some "home made" one. She's thin, but uses it when she gets bloaty
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    It is only 9-10 months since you gave birth. Give it time.
    A small deficit, if you wish, combined with cardio, lifting, time, and adequate protein, will give you the results your genetics will allow.

There is info on the other threads you have made, and participated in, on the same subject, that should give you guidance. There is no magic.

Cheers, h.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    Skin needs time to contract. After my pregnancies it has taken up to 9-12 months before the skin on my stomach has tightened up. I have been doing cardio to loose weight, done strenght training, and lots of ab exercises, planks, etc. No special lotion, wrap, or what so ever.

For how long time has your weight been stable? Chances are you just need to give it some time for the skin to catch up with the weight loss. and add some exercise to keep the underlining muscles tight.
  • DanishFeta
    DanishFeta Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost weight I lost over 100lbs. I was pretty sure i'd need to have some skin removed as a had a good few inches hanging off my tummy and my arms. I decided to ask a professional and they told me to keep eating well, keep hydrated and keep going to the gym and then we'll talk again in 12 months. The skin does contract on it's own over time. Well it did for me.

I'd focus on your BF% for the next 12 months and hopefully your skin too will snap back even more.

I think it is mainly genetics that will determine how much it will snap back, but it's also going to take some time. During this time, lowing your bf% and doing some strength training will be great for you!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Are you strength training? You've said in a few different posts that you haven't been doing this for long- you said four and a half months in one and then three in another. That might feel like a long time but it can take a while for strength training results to show, especially if there's fat to lose.
    Are you strength training? You've said in a few different posts that you haven't been doing this for long- you said four and a half months in one and then three in another. That might feel like a long time but it can take a while for strength training results to show, especially if there's fat to lose.

Yes I've been but I had to stop due to the fact that I don't have the time and availability to go to the gym due to my 9 month old. I'm still doing most of my core exercises and glute bridges and hip thrusts and planks and squats and iron titans and rows and v ups. Just no weights.
  • rickiimarieee
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It is only 9-10 months since you gave birth. Give it time.
    A small deficit, if you wish, combined with cardio, lifting, time, and adequate protein, will give you the results your genetics will allow.

There is info on the other threads you have made, and participated in, on the same subject, that should give you guidance. There is no magic.

Cheers, h.
    Thank you! Yeah on the other threads was mainly they said it's notoriously hard to get rid of and to look up stomach aprons and it led me here with no real answers because of all the advertisements and the products and blah blah blah blah. So I figured it'd be easier and better to get answers from real people who have experienced what I'm experiencing!
    Arizona_C wrote: »
    Skin needs time to contract. After my pregnancies it has taken up to 9-12 months before the skin on my stomach has tightened up. I have been doing cardio to loose weight, done strenght training, and lots of ab exercises, planks, etc. No special lotion, wrap, or what so ever.

For how long time has your weight been stable? Chances are you just need to give it some time for the skin to catch up with the weight loss. and add some exercise to keep the underlining muscles tight.

My weight has been stable for about 2 1/2 weeks which I know isn't a plateau yet but it's been the same. I've been doing strength training but had to stop due to my unavailability to be able to go to the gym. I still do ab exercises and normal exercises I can do at home. Thank you for the advice!!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    DanishFeta wrote: »
    The first time I lost weight I lost over 100lbs. I was pretty sure i'd need to have some skin removed as a had a good few inches hanging off my tummy and my arms. I decided to ask a professional and they told me to keep eating well, keep hydrated and keep going to the gym and then we'll talk again in 12 months. The skin does contract on it's own over time. Well it did for me.

I'd focus on your BF% for the next 12 months and hopefully your skin too will snap back even more.

I think it is mainly genetics that will determine how much it will snap back, but it's also going to take some time. During this time, lowing your bf% and doing some strength training will be great for you!

Im not entirely sure how much body fat I have but I put it all into a calculator online for body fat and it says 19.57%, I would love to do more strength training but I'm not entirely sure what all I can do limited at home.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options

I'm sorry I read this wrong, yeah I've been doing this for about 4 months not entirely sure when I started like the date because I started dieting and exercising before I found this app.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    It should firm up some with time.One of my sons lost over 100lbs & his firmed up some after time. Before I lost weight, a friend who uses the "It Works" products uses the wrap, so I tried it 2 times, it did firm me up a little so I can't say it doesn't work at all, won't hurt to give it a try, or some "home made" one. She's thin, but uses it when she gets bloaty

See I seen that but i am highly skeptical of it
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »

See I seen that but i am highly skeptical of it

Good. Keep being skeptical. It's just woo