HOW DO YOU DISTRACT YOURSELF FROM EATING

Options
2»

Replies

• tracylp6178
    tracylp6178 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have a serving of metimucil weight management right when I get home from work. It's added fiber to my day and helps me feel full. I also eat a mini bag of 100 cal popcorn while watching tv. It does the trick
  • stepea83
    stepea83 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    workout and/or drink pint of water
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I agree about watching too many cooking shows/following too many foodstagram accounts etc. Start knitting or something in front of the TV so you have something to do with your hands; better yet, watch less TV and go for more walks. Once you break the habit of mindless eating, it gets easier.
  • grannysmith54
    grannysmith54 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If I feel hungry I know I losing weight
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Get away from the kitchen! I tend to go somewhere I don't snack...like my bedroom, and read.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I knit in an upstairs room away from the kitchen. If I actually want food, I have to be willing to go down all the stairs to get it and bring it back up stairs. Not to mention, I despise eating while I knit or crochet, so it seems to work.

Sometimes.. too well. I knit until I forget to eat and then I get ravenously hungry, lol.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious and wondering if anyone can give me some ideas on how they distract themselves from eating when they know they're not hungry?

I know that feeling exactly. I would be making something to eat at night even though I was not hungry and eating it. All the while talking to myself yet still making and eating it.

You just need to get to that point where you say enough is enough. No one around me is very supportive and I am surrounded by junk food I cannot remove. You just have to make a conscious choice to work at getting yourself healthier.

In no way am I saying it is easy. The one thing that does help me is going to the gym almost everyday. Also documenting EVERYTHING I eat good or bad. That way I can see what I have been eating and how many calories. Plus a bonus of going to the gym if gives you extra calories burned. My goal when I do go to the gym is to burn 1000 calories and that takes some time to get to that point. I do weight lifting and cardio and I do it myself.

No one is perfect your going to have days you may slip up, but what is important is to get right back at eating healthy for YOU.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I hold an apple, pear or banana in my hand and ask myself, "Do I want one of these?" If not, I'm not hungry and pour myself a large glass of water with slices of lemon and ice. If I'm craving a chocolate treat I revert to my childhood days. I'll make myself a batch of Chocolate Sugar-Free instant pudding. One half-cup serving is 80 calories. I make sure it fits within my daily calorie allotment, and I slowly savor every bite. If it doesn't, I brush my teeth and decide that I'm finished. I quilt or knit, which requires clean hands. Or I take a walk outside, then drink a cup of tea or a glass of water when I get back home.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I’ll try drinking coffee, and water, bc I might just be tired or thirsty. If that’s not it, I just eat and eat. Maybe, I’m not “hungry,” but I can probably use some nourishment. I try to eat low cal volume stuff at times like this. Stuff like skirtake noodles w some marinara, canned greens w hot sauce, miso soup, raw snap peas, and steamed asparagus or artichoke. I’ve noticed that I eat like this before my period, but then I’ll hardly have an appetite for the next few days.
  • grannysmith54
    grannysmith54 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I drank Crystal light lemon tea, curbs my hunger
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Ha! So true, don't watch the Food Network!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,473 Member
    Options
    Find a dirty job. Can't find anything? Clean toilets.
  • merrsa
    merrsa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know it's bad but I started heavy smoking and vaping.
  • ZedTop
    ZedTop Posts: 58 Member
    Options

If I feel hungry I know I losing weight

same here
  • Dropfor40
    Dropfor40 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I recently got back into paper crafting. That or clean the house or go bed early
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Dropfor40 wrote: »
    I recently got back into paper crafting. That or clean the house or go bed early

Do you do origami or quilling or ??? :)
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Well, today I was at work sitting at my computer, felt hungry, so I got up off my *kitten* and finished a project that required moving boxes around and lots of physical activity. I was so occupied getting that done that when I finished an hour later, I wasn't hungry anymore. On past occasions where I can't stop obsessing about eating SOMETHING, I've also eaten pickles. They have very few calories, they make you thirsty (and a belly full of water makes you feel full), AND I've found that most of the junk that I would have wanted will taste like crap mixed with the flavor of pickle brine in my mouth lol.
  • last_jennifer
    last_jennifer Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love reading all of these very motuvating.
  • bodymindmusic
    bodymindmusic Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I make jewelry- keeps me focused and unable to eat. I try to rethink about eating. Am I stress eating or eating to refuel my body with nutrition? I Think about what I’m putting in my body, what it’s doing to my organs and how I want to LIVE a long, healthy life where I can wipe my own butt when I’m old. I read health journals about obesity. If none of that works, I go to my ULTIMATE weapon on myself!! I force myself to look in the mirror while I eat. That’s a pretty severe punishment seeing the food being shoveled in.