High cholesterol/Keto- now what?

Options
2»

Replies

• Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Try low carb (Atkins/South Beach) instead of keto. I also worry about my numbers - so I try to get more veggies in my diet. But - endocrinologists and other drs do recommend low carb.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Try low carb (Atkins/South Beach) instead of keto. I also worry about my numbers - so I try to get more veggies in my diet. But - endocrinologists and other drs do recommend low carb.

In all fairness, endo's and other doctors recommend a wide range of diets, from low to higher carb. It just depends on a persons needs.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

In all fairness, endo's and other doctors recommend a wide range of diets, from low to higher carb. It just depends on a persons needs.

Agreed. With the whole low carb/ keto thing, sometimes it it reminds me of the saying "when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Yep, my mom's endo suggested moderate carb (my mom was eating pretty high carb) and more "healthy fats" like nuts and fish.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    My advice, based on my own situation, is:
    - determine why you are doing keto
    - talk to your doctor about it

I am on a doctor prescribed low carb diet because my triglycerides came back high during my annual physical. Low carb as defined by my doctor was "stay under 100g a day". I tend to stay under about 50, so I'm somewhere between his recommendation and keto.

I count BOTH carbs and calories. My husband says I am really on two diets because the original intent was to get the triglycerides under control. I added the secondary goal of losing weight myself, and that is happening but only because I keep track of both numbers.

I read a lot of literature about eating low carb and ended up reading a NIH study that was on obese patients and the ketogenic diet. It said that they all showed higher cholesterol after 120 days. I took that study to my doctor and said, "Hey I found this, is this a concern at all?" His response was no, because in my case getting the triglycerides under control was more important than the cholesterol.

I think in order to make decisions for your specific case you need to determine the underlying goals of why you are changing your diet and include your doctor in that conversation.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Are there just people who go through here and mark everything that talks about low carb with woo? I really don't get it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Are there just people who go through here and mark everything that talks about low carb with woo? I really don't get it.

There are people who mark anything recommending she ignore her doctor as woo, I suppose.

I made a post recommending low carb but a path where she she changed from keto to moderate carb and less saturated fat, and got lots of positive feedback on it.

I notice that any post of mine where I say anything that has a whiff of talking about my experience low carbing (I low carbed for ten years and found it unsustainable) gets marked as woo.

That woo voting works both ways. I just shrug and move on.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    My advice, based on my own situation, is:
    - determine why you are doing keto
    - talk to your doctor about it

I am on a doctor prescribed low carb diet because my triglycerides came back high during my annual physical. Low carb as defined by my doctor was "stay under 100g a day". I tend to stay under about 50, so I'm somewhere between his recommendation and keto.

I count BOTH carbs and calories. My husband says I am really on two diets because the original intent was to get the triglycerides under control. I added the secondary goal of losing weight myself, and that is happening but only because I keep track of both numbers.

I read a lot of literature about eating low carb and ended up reading a NIH study that was on obese patients and the ketogenic diet. It said that they all showed higher cholesterol after 120 days. I took that study to my doctor and said, "Hey I found this, is this a concern at all?" His response was no, because in my case getting the triglycerides under control was more important than the cholesterol.

I think in order to make decisions for your specific case you need to determine the underlying goals of why you are changing your diet and include your doctor in that conversation.

I wouldn't worry about total cholesterol and it's why I asked for the other numbers. But the OP's CHO/HDL decrease, her triglycerides increased, as did her LDL. That would say, she might be in the population that does not respond well to high fat diets.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Based on my assessment, yes, lol