Maintain weight

Is the my fitness pal maintaining calories provided . Is it right or is it off by some where you still lose or do you gain with it ?

Replies

• RayanaL
    RayanaL Posts: 38 Member
    I thought of slowing going up with the calories like adding 100 cals , and seeing if I start to maintain if not keep going up on the calories .
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I only used the MFP as an initial start point and always adjusted manually based on results - both for weight loss and then maintenance.
    I don't feel the MFP estimate was too far off for me but did need to fine tune.

Your recent rate of weight loss is a reasonable guess for maintenance.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    I agree with sijomial, track, monitor and adjust based on results. It was accurate for me but I use fitbit and it's syncing. Meaning MFP alone would have underestimate my daily burn
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    HappyGrape wrote: »
    I agree with sijomial, track, monitor and adjust based on results. It was accurate for me but I use fitbit and it's syncing. Meaning MFP alone would have underestimate my daily burn

^^ agreed
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,997 Member
    I use MFP to track/log my cals but I didn't use it to determine my maintenance level.

I used the Sailrabbit website, which uses up to 6 different calculators, to estimate my TDEE and to establish a range, then started w/the average and adjusted my cal intake from there to determine my maintenance level.

See: http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

All of the estimates for me were actually high and it took several months to finally reduce my intake enough to achieve maintenance.
  • jacquelynkay
    jacquelynkay Posts: 149 Member
    It’s hard, but I’m determined to do so.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 5,075 Member
    wow - that sailrabbit website is pretty cool. I will have to play with that. OP I just started maintaining the beginning of the month and have upped my calories by 100 every other week so far. IMO maintaining is just like losing. The #s are going to change over the weeks and months and years - you just need to keep track - whether weekly or monthly. I used to think "THERE I have lost and I am done". But that never worked for me. I believe now that it's an ongoing process. You set your safe range and when you fall below you tweak up, and when you hit the top end, you tweak down. I am currently weighing daily and use some different aps to track my average weight to see where I really am. My daily weight fluctuates too much to just accept that one or two days is actual. I am hoping not to EVER have to go back to a deficit for months again but just to catch things and be able to get back on track quickly if I start to head up again.