Is coke Zero healthy???

Options

Replies

• Mahdi22
    Mahdi22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've got a cup of Nescafe' decaf I've been looking at all afternoon. I don't even like Coke, but I'd have made a cup of Coke Zero disappear by now.

I often never drink coke but coke Zero is sooooo good. I don't know what it is but it's good, and knowing that it has zero sugar and calories makes it better. I'm seriously addicted to this. I recommend everyone not trying it cuz if u do, you'll want more lol
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @Peeps_87

http://seriecientifica.org/sites/default/files/scl_enc_butchko.pdf (a 93-page PDF of studies pertaining to aspartame safety)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3982014/ (a comprehensive review of the research regarding safety of numerous artificial sweeteners)

^ This.

And also this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Should I drink it if I want to lose weight?
    If you are thirsty and like the taste then enjoy your virtually calorie free Coke Zero.
    If you normally drink non-diet Coke then it's an easy way to save some calories

Is it healthy?
    How many of the approximately 195 countries around the world have banned it and how many have approved it as safe for human consumption?
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm drinking it, I HAD 140 to lose but have dropped 35 so still 105 to go

My view on healthy is: put it in context.

e.g it can't be as unhealthy as being morbidly obese like me

In fact, the obesity has made me seriously sick, if Coke Zero helps me on my journey to a healthy BMI then great

I'll worry about aspartame when I no longer have a BMI of 45+, am not diabetic, don't have Fatty Liver disease, high cholesterol, dangerously high blood pressure and am no longer classed as having Metabolic Syndrome

If you are already a healthy BMI with no disease and looking to improve your health then you can probably find a healthier option than Coke Zero. But in my circumstances switching from Coke Zero to water is hardly going to transform my health.

Losing all my weight will though.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I used to have a terrible coke zero habit. Went cold turkey on all caffeine (painful few days) as I didn't like being reliant on a a substance. It takes a while to get clean of caffeine and get your energy levels up but it is useful. Now if I have a coffee in the morning I will be buzzing through to the afternoon.
    Despite the lack of sugar, I am pretty certain it still is not great for your teeth. Also if you are trying to keep your sodium levels within mfp limits fizzy will make it hard.
    Years ago I asked a dietitian about coke zero and all she could say against it was the sodium, she was not keen on the idea of replacing water with coke zero.

This myth that it's high sodium keeps persisting. There is 11mg per 100ml. Water has 5mg per 100ml.

Would seem you are correct.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Mahdi22 wrote: »
    Should I drink it if I want to lose weight

Stay within your calorie goals for weight loss. If regular Coke fits in those goals, drink that. If regular Coke doesn't fit, then diet Coke is a nice alternative.

Diet Coke, regular Coke it's a small PART of your diet. Try to eat healthier overall, instead of nitpicking each and every thing.
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Pics like this are in my mind when thinking about whether or not to drink a diet soda:

yn4qh4yj5rbi.jpg
    [/quote]

Never said it didn't taste good or that it had sugar in it. LMAO
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @Spiderpug

You didn't try Caffeine free diet coke then?