PCOS and need to lose weight!

Options
Hello! I'm Linsley! I'm looking for new friends on here! I have been a member, but I slack off every now and again. So I need some people to help motivate me! I'm trying to lose weight to better my life, for me and my future children. (that's if I can conceive!) I have PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) which makes it extremely tough to conceive. I just recently was diagnosed, and on top of PCOS, I weigh 235lbs and I'm 5'2. I have a good self imagine and all, just I need to better myself, and if I lose weight, it ups my chances of being able to conceive in the future! So ANY help would be fantastic! Thanks so much! Add me!

Replies

• Ally_139
    Ally_139 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey! I'm new to this site, over heard someone talking about it on the bus today and thought I'd look into it. Anyway I also have PCOS. At this point I am not looking to conceive, but I know that in the future I will want to, so now is a good time to start makin changes that will increase my chances. I will send you a friend request! Ally
  • CassieAudette
    Options
    I have been on here for almost 8 months and have lost 28 lbs in that time. All of that was within the first 4.5 months while I was on birth control. Since the end of April, I have only bounced between the same 3 lbs. Last week, I found out I have PCOS as well. Here is to a new journey of figuring out how to lose while battling PCOS!!
  • h2lynn9
    h2lynn9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with PCOS as well. Today is my first day using myfitnesspal. I'm 5'6 and weigh 272 pounds! I'm looking for motivation and tips. I'm trying to conceive (if I can) but I don't want to at this weight!
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi I too have PCOS, I am usually okay on the carbs but I like fruit and sweets and because PCOS makes you insulin resistant I know I need to watch this more than I am. Oh I should also mention I have no thyroid because of cancer 7 years ago and I was born with a heart defect that makes exercise limited for me. That being said I have lost around 20lbs since April so I am proving I can do it though there are some days I feel like everything is staked against me.

You can add me as a friend if you want, you can never have enough people pushing and motivaing you.
  • manda1587
    manda1587 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too I was diagnosed 5 years ago, It is tough to lose weight. I find that the only way I really lose weight is watching my carbs! I am not actively trying to have a baby but would like to some time in the near future! Hope my efforts of being healthy and losing weight help me when I'm ready as well as for you!!
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I had PCOS and was able to have two children after losing weight.. and then having to lose baby weight. I am more than willing to help... but you seriously have to look at your diet.

Its going to mean giving up the carbs from grains. I can't tell you how frustrating it was to work out and eat a balanced diet with healthy whole grains and not see the scale drop.

The instant I went Lower carb (only from veggies and occasional fruit) did the scale drop and it plummetted to a higher healthy range which made conception a snap (a little too easy even while on birth control for the second).

I am sure there are some who can eat small amounts of whole grains with PCOS and be successful.. but I think they are in the minority and it is easier to cut them all out... and then add small 'treat" amounts in until you find the level that doesn't allow you to lose anymore.

It sucks at first but you really do get use to is and them when you eat something (like pizza) and feel like crap after... you realize exactly how much better off you are.