Fat loss, strong lifts & rp templates

Options
Hi!!

Wasn't sure if this was the right place for this question. If not, pls let me know.

Ok so here are my goals-
Fat loss
Start lifting
Save all the lbm

Plan is to follow renaissance periodization templates and start doing stronglifts 5x5 3x/wk and zumba/cardio 2x/wk.

Would stronglifts be a good place to start for beginner lifts and help preserve lbm?
Also, does anyone know if SL would be consider light or moderate day?
Thx

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Did you already spend money on this? If not, don't. There is absolutely no need. So long as you are getting adequate protein and lifting, you will preserve lbm (at least as much as it is possible to). You don't need an expensive diet book.
  • karynclarke
    karynclarke Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Just from personal experience, when I tried starting exercise from little-to-none going straight to 5 times a week, I crashed and burned.

I'm not sure if you've been doing the cardio already and are wanting to add in the SL 5x5 or starting both at the same time. SL 5x5 is quite an intense lifting routine and you're going to need the rest days in between for your muscles to recover.

If you've been doing the cardio for a while, that would be your normal activity level, and I think lifting would be a good addition. (I've been doing 5 hours (over 2 days) of cardio a week for a couple of years, I've just added lifting recently 2-3 times a week)

However, if your new to both exercises (cardio and resistance) I would think the best way to not burn out would be to focus on one, for at least a few weeks, before adding the other in.

• aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Did you already spend money on this? If not, don't. There is absolutely no need. So long as you are getting adequate protein and lifting, you will preserve lbm (at least as much as it is possible to). You don't need an expensive diet book.

Thanks. I spent money on it years ago. Won't be spending anymore. Just fighred I'd make use of it for structure and meal timing
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Just from personal experience, when I tried starting exercise from little-to-none going straight to 5 times a week, I crashed and burned.

I'm not sure if you've been doing the cardio already and are wanting to add in the SL 5x5 or starting both at the same time. SL 5x5 is quite an intense lifting routine and you're going to need the rest days in between for your muscles to recover.

If you've been doing the cardio for a while, that would be your normal activity level, and I think lifting would be a good addition. (I've been doing 5 hours (over 2 days) of cardio a week for a couple of years, I've just added lifting recently 2-3 times a week)

However, if your new to both exercises (cardio and resistance) I would think the best way to not burn out would be to focus on one, for at least a few weeks, before adding the other in.

Thanks! Coming back after giving birth. I've been to the gym here and there but nothing consistent. I'll probably do SL and then add 3 active recovery days and then 1 cardio.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Yes, sl5x5 should be great for preserving lbm. It will definitely make you strong in all the main lifts. Do keep protein intake high and try to keep the calorie deficit at less than 20% of tdee . I consider a session of sl5x5 burns 250kcal and log it manually (not a part of activity level).

Sl5x5 shouldnt be too hard initially and you could do hiit or low intensity cardio with it.

But after 3 weeks i found it was very intense, so i cut out hiit and just do low intensity walks to hit my step goal for the day. Still losing weight.
  • heatherlcaron
    heatherlcaron Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don’t know anything about SL, but I use RP Templates. How long does it take you to do a SL workout? That’s the determining factor of whether it’s a light or moderate day. Light is up to an hour and a half, moderate is more than 1.5 hours for workout time.