Do diet fizzy drinks affect the scales?

Options
Hi everyone. Just wondering wether drinking fizzy drinks affects the scales the next day? Thanks :)

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I guess it you drank a lot and didn't pee them out, there would be some weight in your system. But if they are zero calorie, they don't impact your weight.

I'm not a big fan of diet drinks. I've just never got used to the taste. But I drink soda water (from a soda stream) a lot and it doesn't impact anything. Except how much I pee.
  • amrwills
    amrwills Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey sorry guys my question probably wasn’t very clear. I meant temporarily affect the scales, the same way a high sodium meal would after a cheat meal for example. I only ask because I remember being told once that we don’t digest fizzy drinks the same way we would normal liquids, but I can’t remember the medical explanation!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    I saw a study on the NIH site published in May 2017 showing that fizzy drinks made mice gain weight but flat drinks did not. It had to do with the carbonation. I am also interested in research about sweeteners. I don’t think there is enough evidence to date; but in my way of thinking, food and drink should be enjoyed without added sweetening at all. I drink water, plain bare coffee or tea, and sometimes skim milk.

1) Good thing we're not mice.

2) Glad to hear that you're interested in research about sweeteners. There has been plenty of sound scientific research done on them, as opposed to the fearmongering and fiction you see on so many quacks' blog pages. This should get you started nicely:

http://seriecientifica.org/sites/default/files/scl_enc_butchko.pdf (93 pages of studies regarding the safety of aspartame)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3982014/ (From the National Library of Medicine - annotated studies regarding various artificial sweeteners - 75 scientific sources listed in the footnotes)

amrwills wrote: »
    Hey sorry guys my question probably wasn’t very clear. I meant temporarily affect the scales, the same way a high sodium meal would after a cheat meal for example. I only ask because I remember being told once that we don’t digest fizzy drinks the same way we would normal liquids, but I can’t remember the medical explanation!

Not sure where you heard that, but it's incorrect. No, they don't temporarily affect the scales in that manner. Fizzy drinks are somewhere around 99% water, so I don't see how they differ significantly from "normal" liquids (whatever that means).
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Just don’t drop a bottle of fizzy pop on
    The scale, this could damage the scale and give an inaccurate reading the next day
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Just don’t drop a bottle of fizzy pop on
    The scale, this could damage the scale and give an inaccurate reading the next day

Not to mention you'll have the drink all over your stuff if it explodes.

The good thing is it won't be sticky. Cos its diet!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

The "fizzy" is just CO2, and I'm pretty sure you don't digest the CO2. It comes back out the same way it went in. Burp.
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    They make me bloat and water weight. I don't drink pop often 1 time a month most of the time when I need a picky me up.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

The "fizzy" is just CO2, and I'm pretty sure you don't digest the CO2. It comes back out the same way it went in. Burp.

Not necessarily. Fart.