Logging question: butter

Options
I normally try to avoid frying things or using a lot of butter, but sometimes I just can't help myself :D on those occasions where I used butter to fry something how do I log the Calories?

For example, I had pierogies for lunch. I fried them in some butter and when I was done there was still some butter left in the pan and obviously some on the pierogies. How do I log the calories for the butter I inevitably ate? Thanks!

Replies

• PrincessSlytherin
    PrincessSlytherin Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Okay! I was worried about logging too many calories, but I guess that's better than not logging then at all or not enough. Thanks!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Weigh the amount you put in the pan. Whatever's left afterwards is just a bonus.

thats how ive done it for the past 3 years ....
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I measure the butter than log it all.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    You could weigh the butter before and after and log the differencr. After it might contain some water depending what you're frying.
    If you have lots of butter left then logging it all is a very bad idea. Overestimating 500cals is not a good idea.
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I usually dont count butter unless I'm making something where I know a lot is going into. Ex. Mash potatoes, Macoroni and cheese.

For something like toast I just throw it on. Out of curiosity this morning I weighed my butter for my toast and it was 15 calories. So no biggie. ( i also use light butter)

Pancakes, i use butter to grease the pan and don't count that either.
  • CindyWard2
    CindyWard2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I measure and log what I measure...if there is any left in the pan, like after frying an egg, I pour that butter over my eggs!!! If I'm counting the calories, I'm eating the food!!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Pour the remaining butter over the pierogi. Add sour cream. Done.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    If you want to get picky.....
    Put the pan on the scale, add butter. Note weight.
    After cooking put the pan on the scale note weight.

The difference is the amount of butter used.

I have only ever done this when something needed frying in more than a tsp of butter or other fat.

Cheers, h.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I just log what I used before cooking. If I used 2tbs if oil but some was still in the pan I'd still log 2tbs if oil

This is what i do too. Too much brain strain weighing before and what's left after to the exact minute amount..