Options
2»

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    JRSINAZ wrote: »
    It was an eye opener for me to realize the added sugar to pasta marinara sauces so they taste good. No more

Italian grandmothers have been putting a pinch of sugar in their sauce forever - since there is about 70 calories in 1/2 of a cup of marinara, I don’t see a problem.

Italian grandmothers usually start with some raw plum tomatoes and go from there :)

• JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If you are just beginning (which I would imagine since this is post 7 for you) then figuring your TDEE, setting a reasonable calorie goal, and thinking about an exercise regimen should be your first orders of business. Evaluating sugar in a can of tomato sauce is not what I would call a high priority at this juncture.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    It was an eye opener for me to realize the added sugar to pasta marinara sauces so they taste good. No more

Italian grandmothers have been putting a pinch of sugar in their sauce forever - since there is about 70 calories in 1/2 of a cup of marinara, I don’t see a problem.

Italian grandmothers usually start with some raw plum tomatoes and go from there :)

Really? That would have been news to my first generation American Italian grandmother. And she learned from her mother how to make sauce.

My first generation mother-in-law? Also used tinned. They're much more reliable and fresher.

I will say that neither put sugar in their sauce as they both cooked it LONG.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Actually, out of season tomatoes lose out to tinned because they have better flavoured. There's zero wrong with tinned and many an Italian and chef is more than happy to use them. Tinned tomatoes, the only thing added is some citric acid, at least in the UK. Same goes for passata. Of course tomatoes with other things added like garlic are obviously the exception.

This. (Same in the US.)
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options

Actually, out of season tomatoes lose out to tinned because they have better flavoured. There's zero wrong with tinned and many an Italian and chef is more than happy to use them. Tinned tomatoes, the only thing added is some citric acid, at least in the UK. Same goes for passata. Of course tomatoes with other things added like garlic are obviously the exception.

Yup, I know :) the tinned tomatoes I use (I am a grandmother but not Italian) are plum tomatoes canned without sugar added. Although I would LOVE to live in a climate where fresh-off-the-vine tomatoes were widely available. The only passable fresh tomatoes I can find where I live 8 months out of the year are compari tomatoes and they are pretty expensive and watery for a good sauce.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    lalykamp wrote: »
    I'm usually good with reading labels. Always thought tomato sauce was safe. I just realized the brand I purchased has added sugar

Tomato sauce is perfectly safe...some pasta sauces have more sugar than others...there's a whole range. If I'm not making my own I use Cucina Antica which has 1 gram of sugar...

But yeah, if you're doing keto, pasta sauce is probably not going to be your best option. For anyone not doing keto, even the ones with 6 or 7 grams of sugar aren't going to be particularly problematic unless you're just otherwise eating crap tons of sugar with other things.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    https://draxe.com/keto-diet-food-list/ No tomatoes on that list.