Difficult to eat healthy with new husband

Really trying to find balance, I just got married to someone who loves to eat out. I'm finding it very difficult to work around this, sometimes he'll eat the food I cook for us, but mostly he wants to go out, and expects me to eat with him. Lately I've been refusing, but this means going most of the day fasting or only eating small snacks until we get home (we stay out most of the time), or making him eat awardly by himself while I just sit there. Help please, any suggestions are welcome

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    I travel on holiday and face the eating out challenge quite a bit. What seems to help me is tending toward grilled rather than "sauced" entrees, substituting steamed vegetables for the pilaf or potato or whatever the starchy options are, drinking water as beverage much of the time, and refusing to feel guilty about leaving some on the plate. If there is a place that has decent grilled fish or shellfish, I opt for that much of the time, too.
  • smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    Pick the places that have the lighter options. It's possible.
  • Gracie12311
    Gracie12311 Posts: 44 Member
    Honestly, I’d ask him to eat at home more. I understand loving to eat out and try different places, but food can be just as good (if not better) at home. And if he wants to go out for the social aspect, I can definitely relate to that. Just find things to do that don’t revolve around food. I feel it should be an equal partnership and if one person has a particular goal in mind at the moment, then the other person can really help and support. There will be several examples of this over the years with your husband, and it’s a give and take. I’m certain he’ll need your support in something at some point which will mean a sacrifice on your part. It’s normal and healthy and I really believe this is one example of that.
  • TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    Maybe he enjoys the social aspect of it... it might not be about the food itself as much as enjoying people watching or just being surrounded by people.. maybe suggest an alternative activity? Or compromise on how many times you go out.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Try and compromise, eating at home more often. Maybe do some sums and tell him you can reach goals quicker if you eat at home (e.g. Upgrade cars) and when you do go out choose lighter options like grilled meat/fish and veg/salad.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Pick your battles and meals wisely.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    naw no divorce- just compromise- he may really enjoy eating out- MOST chain restaurants have the menu calorie counters online- so figure out where you want to go- then during the day- find a couple of light options that you can enjoy- many times it may be a seafood or veggie entree- then eat half and have the waiter put the other half in a box even before it gets to the table or order a lunch portion- I remember being newly wed and the fun to" eating out" You tow can DO this thing!- YOU have to make the healthy choice for "yourself"
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Compromise and set a number of times to eat out each week. The rest of the time eat at home.
    Plan meals together. Get a new cookbook of a favorite type of food and work through it together for fun.
    Save more calories for the meals out.
    Find something on the menu you can fit in your goals. There are decent choices at most restaurants if you think about it.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    My advice is to save calories for that meal out and look for the healthier version of the menu. Some have calories on the menu, if it does search it up they more than likely have it on their website! I also only eat half the meal because there's always more than just one serving on your plate so I eat half and the other half I put in a to go box and save it for later or tomorrow