what should you set your amount of protein and fat to?

Options
I have my carbs at 30g my fat at80g and my protein at 90 g is that about right ?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Whatever you want. I lost weight fine using the default macro percentages.
  • Icrizz
    Icrizz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The typical percentage is 50% carbs, and then 25% for protein and fat. The amount of grams depends on the amount of calories you eat. But really you can have them at any percentages as long as they equal up to 100%
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I leave mine set to the default, however I find I often am low on carbs and slightly high on fat. I don't worry too much about it. The problem with eating too much fat is that it has 9 calories per gram whereas carbs and protein only have 4 grams. Therefore fats add up the calories more quickly.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I'd be questioning whether I needed to eat only 1200 calories before worrying about macros...
  • drgnfyre
    drgnfyre Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right is you're doing keto, otherwise I don't think you need to be so strict. And if you are doing keto then the only real numbers you have to meet everyday would be at or under the carb limit and meet the protein limit. The fat limit after that would be to just get the cals you need to not under eat. So, as long as you're at your recommended cals for the day it would be ok to not meet the fat goal exactly. Also, you do not HAVE to do keto to loose weight, as long as you lower your calorie intake to whatever the site recommends for your body weight. But I have used keto and I found it to be good for me. However, I am allergic to all grains and a lot of fruit n veggies, so this diet just fit nicely for me for the long haul. Don't feel like you NEED to never eat a carb again to loose weight. That being said, I found myself less hungry on low carb foods and less likely to over eat and I loved the foods. Don't do anything you hate because you think you have to. There is no one size fits all. I see many carb lovers that have great success here and even vegetarians.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Macros are the least of a person's worries who is just starting out. For that matter, they are not even really important in the scope of weight loss for anyone. Eating more or less of one or the other won't make you lose more weight or lose it any faster. New people have enough on their plate without trying to intentionally complicate matters. The KISS principle is the best policy for those just starting out. The more obstacles you put in your way, the higher the probability of failure.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have my carbs at 30g my fat at80g and my protein at 90 g is that about right ?

I wouldn't be able to get enough vegetables at 30 g carbs, personally. I did around 35 g net carbs (so my total carb goal was 60 g total) even when I was doing keto/LCHF, and I think it's a shame so many people get pushed to do carb levels that essentially prevent them from eating a good amount of vegetables.

That said, I assume you are trying to do keto? You are at 1200 calories, which is pretty low, but that amount of protein seems reasonable, and while I think even for keto a somewhat higher carb goal (for vegetables and some nuts, at least!) is reasonable, lots of people for some reason make carbs so low. So try it and see.

Of course, there's no need to do keto to lose (although some enjoy it), and a huge range of different macro amounts work fine, it's personal preference. I'd generally advice having a sensible protein goal (you do) and logging for a bit just aiming for calories and a healthy diet and see where you are falling and how you feel.

If the question is, more specifically, how to set goals for keto, that's a different question.
  • debbiebondklein
    debbiebondklein Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.