Book recommendation--weight training for women?

Options
I'm looking for more information on weight training. I'd like something more organized than what I get randomly bouncing around the internet.

I'm basically a newbie--been working with free weights for about a year, but without much of a plan. (The gym's trainer showed me how to do about 2 exercises per body area, and that's what I've done for the year) I'm in maintenance x6 months now after losing 130+ lbs. I just don't really know what my goal is anymore, since it was always losing weight...so now what? I'm thinking a good book on lifting for women will give me some direction.

I've seen mention of New Rules of Lifting, Strong Curves, and Thinner, Leaner, and Stronger.

What would you recommend for an overall plan? Favorite? What to stay away from?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Maybe check the 3 books out from the library, or go browse them in a book store, to decide which one suits you best.

Sorry, I haven't read any of them. I just found a programme (AllPro) from the 'which lifting program is best for you' thread in the 'gaining' sub forum and went at it.

Cheers, h.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Of those three, I prefer Strong Curves. However, both SC and NROLFW have great glossary/exercise reference sections. I'm not a fan of TLS at all.

Strong Curves - four different programs in all, all are twelve weeks. One is lower body only. One is full body bodyweight only. One is a beginner full body program incorporating bodyweight and weights. One is an advance full body incorporating mostly weights but possibly some bodyweight exercises (cannot remember for sure.) There's a definite emphasis on lower body with this book. Contreras also includes his general workout template so that you can build your own programs too.

NROLFW - I'm hoping that I remember this right. I believe that there are seven four week sequential workouts. As in, do one for four weeks, then proceed to the next. Something I like about this program is that one of the goals is to get you to the point where you can do pullups. Overall I think this is a good program but it just wasn't a good fit for me. I know several women who have liked it though.

TLS - This is a body part split and I don't think it's optimal for beginners. Plus I admit to being biased against the book based on its title, which perpetuates that idea that women need to be smaller smaller smaller, as opposed to its counterpart book, Bigger Leaner Stronger, which is aimed at men.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I just don't really know what my goal is anymore, since it was always losing weight...so now what? I'm thinking a good book on lifting for women will give me some direction.

There are different programs for different goals, and the books don't always delve deep into choosing goals. Think about where you should be or want to be physically. Do you want more functional strength for everyday life, or a sport? Do you want to get bigger, or compete against other lifters? Do you just want to be healthy, have strong bones, etc.?

For general health & fitness, i recommend New Rules of Lifting for Life. It's written for the over-40 crowd, but it's a great all-around fitness program for anyone. :+1:
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

For general health & fitness, i recommend New Rules of Lifting for Life. It's written for the over-40 crowd, but it's a great all-around fitness program for anyone. :+1:

I went to Barnes and Noble today to look at the options. (My library had none of them--how pathetic!) Anyway, this is the one that looked the best to me for starting off. Also because I'm 51 and maybe shouldn't be pretending I'm 25 even though I feel great! So thanks to all for the input, and especially about this one since I hadn't heard of it before!.I am ready to dive into it tonight! :smiley:

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i have always used starting strength, by mark rippetoe. and prior to that it was s tronglifts 5x5 that was my gateway to compound lifting. and that's definitely not women-specific or even respectful of women iyam.

so i may not even be the right person to give you advice because i come from the 180-opposite side. but i will say that fwiw, i like things that are NOT gender specific. and not age specific either, if it comes to that. with lifting, i didn't even consider it until i was on my way towards (i believe) 49, and i never have found a limitation based on those things that i couldn't work out my own workarounds for.

it's a pov thing but i guess that for me it works better to find my own limitations or 'special' challenges from personal experience. as opposed to finding some programme that has pre-defined them and just plaks them on over whoever i am, at the start. ymmv and i hope you do find something that feels like it's just right for you. there's sure to be something so if it takes a little experimentation, don't be discouraged by that.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Going to agree with Starting Strength. Best new lift book I have read. It is more an in depth book at the compound lifts that should be at the heart of any new lifter program. His program is also solid for male or female lifters.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Just read your age and it’s not a factor IMHO. I’m 45 and was in horrible shape 6 months ago. Impingement in both shoulders, 300lbs, and had surgery on leg that really limited my walking. Lifting, Starting Strength was my program, pretty much turned me around.

Another book from Rippetoe’s compnay is “The Barbell Prescription” goes more into slight changes an older lifter should consider. It also covers why compound lifts could add years to your life. At 45 I train almost same as someone in 20s. I just need to be more aware of recovery.

Both books are on kindle and tons of resources for program. They have great website, videos, and listen to Barbell Logic podcast for even more free info before you decide.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I used New Rules of Lifting For Women a couple of years ago. The latest from those authors is "Strong" which I am using now. It's updated (no more crunches, more gradual build up to major lifts such as deadlift from the floor, back barbell squats and others, better warm-up section for example).