My New Favorite Spaghetti Squash Prep Method ...

Options
mjbnj0001
mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
Pressure cooker. Cut squash once perpendicular to long axis, place cut ends down on wire rack in cooker, add 1-2 cups plain water (below the level of your rack so that the squash is steamed and not braised), cook at pressure about 20 minutes (you might need to adjust your times based on the size of the squash and specific cooker - I'm still using my ol' trusty stovetop, jiggle-top pressure cooker). Seeds scrape out super easily, and the spaghetti flesh nearly plops out of the squash shell without a lot of persuasion. Then you can do whatever you were going to do to make a finished dish out of it. If you let it go too long under pressure, I suspect you'll get a mush result.

I'll still bake for that dry-cook, roasted approach, bit I don't think I'll be boiling it any longer for wet cooking.

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Grilled is my favorite because I love the caramelization and smoky flavor.

But the quickest and easiest is the microwave. 8-12 min, depending on size of the squash, and it's ready to eat. You can either cut in have and put on a microwave safe plate (with a little water if you wish) or stab it a couple of times and cut after it's done. The hard rind cuts easily after cooking.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    My mom grew some ridiculously large sweet potatoes, maybe I'll try them in the pressure cooker. Never thought about trying that
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    Grilled is my favorite because I love the caramelization and smoky flavor.

But the quickest and easiest is the microwave. 8-12 min, depending on size of the squash, and it's ready to eat. You can either cut in have and put on a microwave safe plate (with a little water if you wish) or stab it a couple of times and cut after it's done. The hard rind cuts easily after cooking.

I do basically the same. Split in half, cut side down in about half an inch of water in a baking dish. Averaging 10 minutes depending on size. So much easier.
  • kaye4health
    kaye4health Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in microwave. jab knife in to center all over it, then put on microwave safe plate and nuke 5 min. then turn it (use oven mit), then cook another 2 to 3 min. keep doing this till fork punctures the skin easily. Take out, let sit a few minutes. then cut it in half. (be careful, will be hot), scoop out seeds and take fork, make spaghetti strands, so easy and simple. (just make sure you puncture it to center with knife in a few spots. this lets the steam excape and then it won't blow up in microwave. If I find good sale, then I buy more, put in pressure cooker whole (don't need to cut it), cook approx. 17 min. then take out and let sit for a few minutes. then cut it in half, take seeds out etc.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I just pressured cooked one the other day - I love it!
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    usually no need to cut, I put mine in whole in the instant pot.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    All great except that a good sized squash will not fit that way into a pressure cooker. You have to look for a smaller squashes. You are missing the flavour of roasted squash for sure.

I have the advantage of using my trusty ol' jiggle-top stovetop pressure cooker. 8L capacity.

I lust after all the advantages of the Instant Pot and its electric, multipurpose kin, but this traditional one is still doing a good job for me. For large batches especially.

Last night and tonight, I oven-roasted butternut squash as sides to the evening meal. Last night, a maple-cinnamon flavor; tonight, "southwestern style." As for spaghetti squash, it's good to have multiple options, both pressure steaming for "wet" cooking, and bake/roast for "dry" - really different results.

P.S. -- I don't know if I've said this elsewhere, but I see you've got a great, healthy-looking food repertoire - and a good eye for presentation/photos. I just retired, and have moved into the primary-cook role for the still-working rest of my family. I look at some of your posts and think about reverse-engineering them for our use. Good stuff.