Track exercise?

Options
I don't track my exercise in MFP.
I use another app to keep track of that.
For calories my daily target is a bit lower than it needs to be (it's by no means low), so I just sort of take it easy on myself those days because of pre/post workout snacks.

Should I be logging those calories in MFP? Why?

Replies

• zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Btw I use fitlist to track my workouts and so far I love it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    MFP is worthless for tracking exercise. It can't show you a map or relevant stats or anything, that's not what is for. The purpose of adding it syncing your exercise here is to balance your calories.
  • zeldon919
    Options
    What do you mean balancing calories?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I just add my calories to my exercise log. I "credit" myself 50 calories for every mile I walk with the dog. So after a 2.25 mile walk, I add 125 calories to my exercise log and that gives me an additional 125 calories to eat if I should choose. I use Map my Fitness and Fitbit for tracking my exercise itself. And when I do the weight machines at the gym I use a notebook.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Since you're here as an MFP user, I'm going to assume you set a goal when you joined, because that's how it works. You're supposed to eat some number of calories. That number already has your weight loss deficit built into it, without exercise. If you regularly exercise without eating those calories back, you're setting yourself up for a lot of long term problems, like muscle and hair loss. Entering your exercise here adds to your calorie goal (like how driving your car forces you to buy gas) to avoid that.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can log the exercises to MFP and enter the number of calories you seem correct. You should not eat lower than MFP recommendation then not eat back exercise cals. It's called undereating and undernourishing. I don't know why new people come to use this site then think they know a better way to manage their calories.
  • zeldon919
    Options
    To those of you that gave informative nonjudgmental answers, thank you.

To the rest -
    Do not insult someone seeking information for their betterment. Do not insult me based on literally no information (I didn't provide nearly enough for someone to extract that I'm undernourished and underfed).

I know what I'm doing (and ask and research when I dont) so I honestly don't care what you think of me.

People come to these forums for SUPPORT and information. But a lot of people on here are depressed, lost, trying really hard and just need support. If you must criticize or correct (it's often appropriate) be POSITIVE and CONSTRUCTIVE, not sniping and sarcastic. Your snide remarks and overreaching comments could seriously harm some of the people on these forums, so don't.