100 lbs and Plus without surgery

Options
2»

Replies

• shadowdrake37
    shadowdrake37 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I stumbled on this post! I'm trying to lose at least 130 lbs. I'm in agreement with most on here that the surgery just wasn't for me. A lot of the surgery is eating right and smaller portions, but the complications and risks are too scary for me.

I've been at it since the beginning of August and my trainer suggested the MFP app! It has helped me to learn how to work out effectively. The price of the training and having someone to answer my questions and motivate me when I need it is worth it. I'm down 23 lbs so far, and I feel better. It isn't much, and I wanted to lose more faster, but I'm going the right direction.

I wish everyone luck in your efforts.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Since June of 2016 I've lost 75 lbs, and I have about that much left to go. I've also lowered my A1c from 7.9 to 5.4 and I'm out of diabetic range, which is even more exciting for me. As so many other posters have said, this is a simple process but that doesn't make it easy. It's tempting to make it more complicated than it needs to be (warm water with cayenne and lemon juice! plastic wrap saunas! detoxes for only $79.99 a week! buttered coffee and "junk light", ye gods!), but making it complicated is where we tend to get lost and wander around in the wilderness for a while.

Keep your calories in less than your calories out, eat for your own health & happiness, and get outside and play any chance you can. It can be done, there are a lot of us doing it, and you'll be successful too.
  • MinuitMinuet
    MinuitMinuet Posts: 156 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Don't panick over one bad day and assume you just ruined the week or month. If it stretches into two days, don't punish yourself. Watch your totals. Keep it under maintenance for the week if that's all you can do. You don't have to lose by the pounds.. it's still a loss to lose by the points. And measure every month. Sometimes a plateau is only a scale thing.. not a fat loss thing.

Don't bring in foods you know you will go crazy over. Try to look for low calorie solutions to favorite foods if you can stand them. Like shrimp alfredo? How bout over broccoli instead of pasta? If you prefer pasta, don't cook the whole box. Pull out just what you need and fill up on veggies. Bulk out the rest with veggies or mushrooms.

1200 calories a day isn't necessary for weight loss. If your maintenance is 2400, you lose weight if you stay under it. 2300 a day would lose you .2 pounds. Not a lot but you didn't ruin anything. And if you average above maintenance for the week, your month is not ruined. Let each day be a renewing of your mind. You slipped on Monday? Tuesday is your first day. You slip again? Wednesday is your first day. Keep to that mentality and you won't give up. Each day is boot camp and you are in training to see what works and what to avoid.

Note the foods that have feeling satiated through the day. You don't need to live on salads. Meat and eggs can keep you full longer. Write down anything that kept you full longer and then keep those on hand. We just had Tuscan chicken over broccoli last night. It was amazing in flavor. 360 calories and I was stuffed. That is going into my "must have again" book with my shrimp alfredo over veggies (320 calories) and meat and mushrooms over zoodles (280 calories)..
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Great posts all.
    "...and a degree of constant control over your food." Amusedmonk - love this
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have 100+ lbs to lose and I'm going to need all the help I can to get it done. I'm looking for people to help me along the way either a virtual HIGH FIVE or giving me a pep talk on days I'm slacking! You all are an inspiration and I know I can do it one day at a time.
  • djm206
    djm206 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    188# lost without surgery. Followed the calories MFP gave me. As far as exercise, I walk for an hour everyday. Nothing overly complicated at all.
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have so far lost 65 lbs without surgery with another 45 to go. I am a 50+ year old menopausal woman and have been overweight since having my kids in my early 30's gradually getting heavier and heavier over the 20 years. I went to the doctor a few weeks ago and all of my tests were excellent. The doctor said she was very impressed with my loss and with how healthy I look now. Oh and I don't go to the gym. I just try to move more and eat less. Currently remodeling much of my house for exercise.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I've lost 95+ with no surgery. I've gone from 256 (highest weight not logged on MFP) to 157 in a little over a year.

I have 5lbs to my original goal weight and probably 10lbs to my idea running/racing weight. All I have done is stay in a calorie deficit by counting calories and logging my food on MFP. I barely exercised at first because I was too fat. As I lost weight and felt better, I did more walking. Now I am training for a half marathon. Many of the people in my feed are like me and many of them stick with walking or decide to lift weights when they are ready.

Just...calorie deficit. Log your food. Commit to that one day at a time and you got this.
  • pkweier
    pkweier Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    djm206 wrote: »
    188# lost without surgery. Followed the calories MFP gave me. As far as exercise, I walk for an hour everyday. Nothing overly complicated at all.

Exactly what I did lost 180 pounds only I walk at least 90 minutes most times 2 hours
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Don't panick over one bad day and assume you just ruined the week or month. If it stretches into two days, don't punish yourself. Watch your totals. Keep it under maintenance for the week if that's all you can do. You don't have to lose by the pounds.. it's still a loss to lose by the points. And measure every month. Sometimes a plateau is only a scale thing.. not a fat loss thing.

Don't bring in foods you know you will go crazy over. Try to look for low calorie solutions to favorite foods if you can stand them. Like shrimp alfredo? How bout over broccoli instead of pasta? If you prefer pasta, don't cook the whole box. Pull out just what you need and fill up on veggies. Bulk out the rest with veggies or mushrooms.

1200 calories a day isn't necessary for weight loss. If your maintenance is 2400, you lose weight if you stay under it. 2300 a day would lose you .2 pounds. Not a lot but you didn't ruin anything. And if you average above maintenance for the week, your month is not ruined. Let each day be a renewing of your mind. You slipped on Monday? Tuesday is your first day. You slip again? Wednesday is your first day. Keep to that mentality and you won't give up. Each day is boot camp and you are in training to see what works and what to avoid.

Note the foods that have feeling satiated through the day. You don't need to live on salads. Meat and eggs can keep you full longer. Write down anything that kept you full longer and then keep those on hand. We just had Tuscan chicken over broccoli last night. It was amazing in flavor. 360 calories and I was stuffed. That is going into my "must have again" book with my shrimp alfredo over veggies (320 calories) and meat and mushrooms over zoodles (280 calories)..

I love this entire comment, but the bolded in particular bears repeating. People talk a lot about motivation: how to get motivated to start, how to get motivated to pick oneself up after a day eating above your goal, how they're going to start doing x/y/z just as soon as they can find the motivation to do it. If you're spending a lot of time trying to find motivation, you're really just spinning your wheels and not doing anything. Pick things that you can do and do them immediately. Don't wait for the first of the month or Monday or even tomorrow morning - if you can do something right now, you're immediately better off. And if all you can do right now is to repeat whatever you did yesterday, then that's great too. That's not to say you can't set goals, just don't let yourself use waiting for motivation as an excuse.