Discouraging Week

Options
2»

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    This week is my first real discouraging week in 2 months. I was sick last week and hit my low of 214! Finally feeling better and driving this weekend I had fast food. Now I am sitting around 219, I know I didn't eat that many calories to have gain 5 pounds. At first I was frustrated. Then I look at my diary my sodium and carbs have been high all except yesterday so I know there is some water weight hanging there. So I refuse to record it. I am guess tomorrow or Friday I will wake up to a 5 pound maybe more loss. Now if I am still at 219 next Thursday it means I need to relook at my pass week because I am logging wrong somewhere if he 5 pounds are not gone.

It may also be water weight that you originally lost while you were sick
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    This week is my first real discouraging week in 2 months. I was sick last week and hit my low of 214! Finally feeling better and driving this weekend I had fast food. Now I am sitting around 219, I know I didn't eat that many calories to have gain 5 pounds. At first I was frustrated. Then I look at my diary my sodium and carbs have been high all except yesterday so I know there is some water weight hanging there. So I refuse to record it. I am guess tomorrow or Friday I will wake up to a 5 pound maybe more loss. Now if I am still at 219 next Thursday it means I need to relook at my pass week because I am logging wrong somewhere if he 5 pounds are not gone.

It may also be water weight that you originally lost while you were sick

I am not super worried. I started lifting this pass week. I will give myself a week to even out before I start trying to change things around.
  • dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Work on your calorie deficit- that is all that you can do. If your logging accurately reflects your intake (this is of utmost importance), and your calories burned are sufficiently greater than what you have taken in, then you have been successful. Let the weight come off as it does and appreciate non-scale victories: clothes feeling looser progressing to needing a new outfit, feeling more energetic, having people notice and ask if you have lost weight, and finding a new challenging activity (ie walking/running a 5k, 10k, half? picking up a tennis racket and nailing that backhand return? pole dancing? belly dancing? square dancing?) Don't just exercise- enjoy it, love it, live it! Don't give the scale that much power.... it will create unnecessary grief. Please know I am not suggesting you not have any idea of what your weight is, I am saying not to use that downward trend as the measure (or the sole measure) of your success.

If you have a day or two where you mismanaged your deficit, your goal/success should be getting back on plan quickly. Do this a number of times and you will have learned the necessary skills to manage this forever.
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    When I realized the scale was discouraging me, though I was doing the work, I stopped getting on it until I was emotionally ready to accept the number presented to me. I've been back on MFP for 36 days and I'm not going near the scale. If your doing the work, your body will change. Weighing yourself is fine, but if it's discouraging you, it could derail your motivation, thus minimizing your weight loss efforts.