Did losing weight help your pain?

Options
2»

Replies

• azironasun
    azironasun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Did losing weight help your pain?
    Not my pain, but my wife's. . . I'm snoring much less.
  • lilac_bunny
    lilac_bunny Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have less pain, less problems with my IBS and less sleep apnea/snoring
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Sort of. I had lower back pain and muscle pains in my thigh. What really helped was walking to build up muscle. But I couldn't walk much until I lost some weight.
  • KaleiAlanaSmith
    KaleiAlanaSmith Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 years old recently with Rheumatoid Arthritis. My knee pain is so severe and is sometimes debilitating during the day. I started eating healthier to lose a few pounds and my exercise is biking to campus. My pain is already diminishing and i don't have acute episodes anymore. I would say it's definitely working for me. But each case is different, each person's pain is different.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Immensely.

At 250 lbs, I constantly had tired achy joints. Pretty sure my left knee had developed arthritis, my back was always tired, feet and ankles had random joint pains. Sitting for too long caused pain. Standing for not very long caused pain. Lying down for too long caused pain. I have an old hip injury and resulting arthritis that was operated on when I was 220 lbs. I used to say the surgery made me 90% better. At 250 lbs, it was probably down to 75%. Having lost 115 lbs, My hip is at 100%, as far as I can tell. The only discomfort I experience is when I've been lazy about stretching after runs. Other than that, I have little to no pain, ever.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I really apreciate the responses from everyone. I do crossfit 5x a week. I love weight lifting. The 2 days I was a normal weight in my life I want nearly as active as I am now, so I dont remember it improving my pain. I can deadlift and squat quite a bit but run 100ft and I want to cry from the pain. I just need to keep going..... losing 50lbs definitely wont make the pain worse.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    If you are in pain after doing a specific exercise maybe you should look at the reasons for that. When I was overweight I could not run, and it was painful to run very far. The reasons for that were several, I had built up no cardio conditioning, the muscles in my legs were weak, and although I did not smoke, I had smoked for 22 years. I quit about 5 years before my journey here started but never exercised. Once I slowly built up my tolerance for cardio, strengthened my legs, and my core (to keep my back from taking the impact of running) I found I could not only run, but today I can run a 5k. It's still difficult, but gets easier as time goes on.

If you run 100ft and are in pain, what kind of pain? Muscle soreness? Lower Back Pain? Shin splints? etc. I never believed deadlifts were good for anyone. It puts weight on your lower spine in ways that are not good long term, and if you don't have perfect form, you can easily injure your back.

Food for thought.