chocolate

marysabetournay
marysabetournay Posts: 69 Member
edited October 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I gave in to chocolate today! grrr am pissed off at myself....how to resist yor favorite junkfood?? am such a wuss when i see those tiny chocolates just calling for me!!

Replies

• need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Did you just give into chocolate as in a little bit or did you binge? Having small treats fit into your daily calorie goal is a good idea.
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    I eat two small pieces of chocolate everyday as part of my heart health plan. It helps me not eat a bunch of other unhealthy things throughout the day or binging and eating a bag of candy or a whole cake.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Why would I give up chocolate? Or any of my favorite foods? That's ridiculous - and a recipe for disaster as you've experienced. Find a way to make them fit your calories and enjoy life. Weight loss isn't meant to be a punishment.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    It sounds like you're setting yourself up for failure, in the classic way:
    Deeming something you like off limits, for whatever reason (toxic, fattening, indulgence).
    Keeping foods you have trouble moderating, within arms reach.
    Building a halo around said forbidden food, and thus working up an intense craving for it.
    Hating yourself for not being able to resist.
    Keep eating to ease negative emotions/remove temptations/because you've already broken the rule.
    Possibly also undereating and/or forcing yourself to eat boring/strange food and/or at an awkward schedule.

Just being aware of this pattern should be enough to break it and find a more effective strategy.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    I don’t resist; I work it into my calories
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    I didn't give up chocolate or bacon! I did however change what chocolate I ate and how I ate it. No supermarket, drugstore chocolate - boutique chocolate only. Now before you compare the price there are some pluses - of course it is higher, resulting in less, it takes effort to get, resulting in not indulging in it as often, for me it wasn't as bad for me due to issues with food dyes and preservatives. I would serve it on a saucer like dessert and make it an event. For me this helped me from indulging in holiday treats for several years, I would/could have something to really look forward to.

Now, I do keep dark chocolate around, because I don't care for it but it hits the spot when you are craving something - these are not anything special, I get the Ghiradelli dark chocolate squares from Costco.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    As so many have stated, you are setting yourself up for failure. If you tell yourself that you can not have this or that, you are going to want this or that. And, when you finally do enjoy this or that, you are going to feel like you have failed. BS.

Food is fuel. Food is necessary to survive. Nothing more. Well, for me. It takes a bit of 'training' to get to that point. A healthy relationship with food is super important and not at all easy to have. Food is front and center of soooo many things.....

I LOVE Taco Bell. Yes....that nasty, disgusting horrible food. But I love it. So, every now and again I just go. And I get two or three things.....and I know that all told I just enjoyed about 1,400 Calories. I just make sure that doing this fits for the day. It almost never does. I do not schedule that visit. It just kinda happens. So, if I go over that day's Caloric Intake (and, totally screw up the macros for that day) I do not worry. I look at things from the perspective of one week. So, 2,200 Calories a day x seven days is 15,400 Calories. Somehow, pretty sure that 1,400 Calories is NOT going to mess up that one week. And, you know what.....if it does, somehow I will still survive.

Enjoy life. If that means that you have some chocolate every now and again, then so be it! Shoot, have a piece for me and tell me how good it was.

Someone else stated this....and I think that it is super important (I will say that I have been going through this process for the last six months and have really made huge gains)......but pay attention to habits. There is a trigger, then there is your reaction and then you take some sort of action. Recognizing all of this is the most important. Work on that. Love yourself when you do see that the pattern is in play at the moment. That is a win. You might still be taking the "wrong" action (whatever that might mean) but you are seeing that you are in said pattern. Soon you will be able to re-channel your energy...as you will see the trigger when it happens. That is cool.

Anyway, enjoy. Enjoy life. We are here only once, right? :wink:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    When I started I got individually wrapped Ghiardelli squares. It was the best way to limit my intake. Then the store stopped carrying them. Now I buy the large bars and break off one square per day. It works now because I got used to the singles first.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Why would I give up chocolate? Or any of my favorite foods? That's ridiculous - and a recipe for disaster as you've experienced. Find a way to make them fit your calories and enjoy life. Weight loss isn't meant to be a punishment.

Exactly this.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    What works for some people is to get chocolate /cacao powder to add to milk, yogurt, oatmeal.
    You could make chocolate pudding with bananas or avocado or something similar.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Did you just give into chocolate as in a little bit or did you binge? Having small treats fit into your daily calorie goal is a good idea.

This^

Complete elimination always seems to back fire for me. Besides.....moderation is good practice for when you get to maintenance.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Work it in to your calorie allotment each day.
    I have a Dove promise dark chocolate caramel with sea salt as a treat everyday.
    One piece = 38 calories.
    Don't deny yourself, learn to moderate all foods, especially the ones you love.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I have half a chocolate bar as part of my breakfast every morning. Chop it up into pieces and mix it into my yogurt. It's good stuff.
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    I eat a small amount of chocolate most days
  • marysabetournay
    marysabetournay Posts: 69 Member
    thank you all for the advice, will work into my plan and enjoy small pieces of dark chocolate, which i love!