Creatine & Sugar?

I remember hearing somewhere that creatine is more efficiently absorbed when consumed with sugar (like juice), but can't remember where. Is that true?

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Uh, "maybe". Ha!

Here's an article with some info, but there are zillions of them.
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/animalpak22.htm

I used to hear the grape juice thing in the '90s. The idea being, you want an insulin spike concurrently with the creatine. But that may have been bro-science.

Most of what I'm seeing right now, says it doesn't really matter. Creatine is dirt-cheap and you'll probably be "fine" if you just take it sometime consistently.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    amandaeve wrote: »
    I remember hearing somewhere that creatine is more efficiently absorbed when consumed with sugar (like juice), but can't remember where. Is that true?

It's a muscle saturator. So consuming juice will do nothing. Although, I have heard of drinking juice to help with stomach cramping.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    I add mine to my protein shake
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    edited October 2017
    psuLemon wrote:
    It's a muscle saturator. So consuming juice will do nothing. Although, I have heard of drinking juice to help with stomach cramping.

Ick! I think juice would make my stomach cramp! I don't like juice much, which is why I asked. Right now I'm taking creatine with an Emergen-C packet (to help with taste and add electrolyte) before my strength exercises. Seems to be OK.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon wrote:

Ick! I think juice would make my stomach cramp! I don't like juice much, which is why I asked. Right now I'm taking creatine with an Emergen-C packet (to help with taste and add electrolyte) before my strength exercises. Seems to be OK.

Probably a fair approach. And in all honesty, the timing of creatine is inconsequential.
  • AlphaRican
    AlphaRican Posts: 2 Member
    The reason behind the success of this thinking has to do with the insulin response you get from the juice AKA Sugar spike.

The process has been proven however there a few caveats to keep in mind.

1. Creatine saturation limits are real and once you have reached your limit of creatine saturation, no benefit will be had by intaking creatine with juice.
    2. Much like the best practice as far as timing of insulin responses effect on pushing nutrients and repairing muscle fibres, it is best to do this after workout.
    3. Do not wake up in the morning and take creatine and sugary juice, this is not the type of response you want first thing in the morning if you are not going to be active or have been active beforehand.
    4. Creatine can be loaded or simply take 5g a day for 30 days ( to reach saturation for most people).
    5. Some cycle off for a few weeks and repeat the process, some never cycle off and keep saturation at its limit as much as possible.
    6. I believe in the law of diminishing returns, more is not always good and if you are training hard (moderate weightlifting) I would aim to keep levels saturated as you are constantly breaking down, repairing and building muscle fibres. (If your nutrition goals line up that is)

Creatine, ATP and Protein Synthesis go hand in hand and understanding and maximising on each creates the best environment for muscle.

A post for another time maybe.

Thanks for reading.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    AlphaRican wrote: »
    3. Do not wake up in the morning and take creatine and sugary juice, this is not the type of response you want first thing in the morning if you are not going to be active or have been active beforehand.

@AlphaRican what is the issue with creatine in the morning? I'm up at 5:20, and active at 5:45 and begin my hard workout at 6am. I was taking creatine at 5:30, but I can mix it with my protein blend (I drink half after the hard workout at 7am and the rest after cardio finishes at 8am).

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

@AlphaRican what is the issue with creatine in the morning? I'm up at 5:20, and active at 5:45 and begin my hard workout at 6am. I was taking creatine at 5:30, but I can mix it with my protein blend (I drink half after the hard workout at 7am and the rest after cardio finishes at 8am).

There is no issue with it. Broscience.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I've noticed that during loading(after a deload), if I hit the creatine and juice first thing and I'm not vigorous within 20-30 minutes that the digestive side effects are worse than if I do the load and am vigorous more or less immediately.

I suspect that's what's being referenced.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

I've noticed that during loading(after a deload), if I hit the creatine and juice first thing and I'm not vigorous within 20-30 minutes that the digestive side effects are worse than if I do the load and am vigorous more or less immediately.

What digestive side effects do you mean?

I assumed he was referring to sugar/insulin response broscience he was spouting in another thread.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Just have your daily dosage of creatine whenever suits you - timing is irrelevant beyond "whenever suits you".
    Taking it before/after training isn't doing anything special for you but if mixing it in your protein shake is convenient then that's fine.

Once you have hit the point where your muscles have hit saturation point over an extended period of days/weeks that's it - you can't do any more by timing or taking with other foods or drinks.
  • psuLemon

What digestive side effects do you mean?

I assumed he was referring to sugar/insulin response broscience he was spouting in another thread.

When I took creatine, I had horrible stomach cramping. And I drink a ton of fluids (like 200oz +). I tried the grape juice trick that is talked about... still horrible cramping.