Calling all Half-Marathoners

Options
2»

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim : "races are, after all, much different from jogging alone"

Ain't that the truth. My long training runs were usually at an 11:30 mile pace and I struggled to keep that up. My Half Marathon pace in the race was 10:30 steady for just about the entire race. Races are different than training.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I want to thank everyone for the awesome advise. I signed up for the half in April! I learned that the cut off time is 6 hours (which makes me laugh because I could walk the entire way and not get cut off). I have decided to complete my current 10K training program and then my trainer (who is an experienced runner and running coach) said that she would create a training plan for me to get me ready for the half. I am really excited about my decision. I am especially excited in the fact that this race will keep me motivated to continue to run throughout the winter.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I want to thank everyone for the awesome advise. I signed up for the half in April! I learned that the cut off time is 6 hours (which makes me laugh because I could walk the entire way and not get cut off). I have decided to complete my current 10K training program and then my trainer (who is an experienced runner and running coach) said that she would create a training plan for me to get me ready for the half. I am really excited about my decision. I am especially excited in the fact that this race will keep me motivated to continue to run throughout the winter.

are they running a full as well as a half at the same time?
  • magster4isu
    Options

Yes, there is a full, half and 5K
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Maybe don't laugh at the cut off time when there might be people who couldn't complete a half in that time, but want to try.
  • deannalfisher
    Options

that's probably why - the course for the full will close at 6hrs - and its too hard to regulate 2 different cut-offs for half/full runners
  • magster4isu
    Options

Maybe don't laugh at the cut off time when there might be people who couldn't complete a half in that time, but want to try.

Sorry. That was probably a very poor way to put that. What I meant by that comment was that one of the reasons I was thinking about NOT signing up was that I was afraid that I would be cut off due to time. My "laughing" was more of an expression of relief that I am 100% confident that I will be able to complete the race in time. (Did not mean to offend with that comment)
  • magster4isu
    Options

that's probably why - the course for the full will close at 6hrs - and its too hard to regulate 2 different cut-offs for half/full runners

The full actually has a longer cut off. I think with it being the first year of this race they are trying to get as much participation as possible and don't want people (like me) deterred with an aggressive cut off time.
  • deannalfisher
    Options

The full actually has a longer cut off. I think with it being the first year of this race they are trying to get as much participation as possible and don't want people (like me) deterred with an aggressive cut off time.

interesting...even the longest half i saw had a cut off of 4hrs...so 6 is huge - that is like almost the cut off for the full Marine Corps Marathon (which I think is 7ish hrs)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Is the full starting earlier?

A 7 hour marathon cut would be pretty generous for a road marathon, so the full starting an hour before the half would allow the half to have a six hour cut, for just the reason you identify. The route is open so it might as well cover off both races.

Trail races would generally have a longer cut time.

• magster4isu
    Options

Is the full starting earlier?

A 7 hour marathon cut would be pretty generous for a road marathon, so the full starting an hour before the half would allow the half to have a six hour cut, for just the reason you identify. The route is open so it might as well cover off both races.

Trail races would generally have a longer cut time.

I think you are correct. I believe the full is starting an hour before the half.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

interesting...even the longest half i saw had a cut off of 4hrs...so 6 is huge - that is like almost the cut off for the full Marine Corps Marathon (which I think is 7ish hrs)

Yes. 4 hours is a pretty typical walking pace (18.3 min/mile or 3.2-3.3 mph - not leisurely, but not speed-walking either). 6 hours would be a very leisurely stroll (27 min/mile).

Years ago, I walked an 8k with friends that even had a separate walk registration.. the 'cattle car' was on the heels of (and harassing) those walking just a few hundred feet behind us at an 18.7 min mile pace.