Unrealistic weight goal?

I want to be 125 lbs.....I'm 5'7".

Is this aiming too low?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    It's on the low end of BMI, but it's just one number. The scale doesn't tell all.

Depending upon your frame size, depending upon your lean body mass %, it may very well be a good number or it may not be. People with a higher % of lean mass look good at higher weights.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I think having an idea or range and taking it step by step and seeing how you feel will be the best way.

I am 5'7 too. I have been all different weights at different times (ranging from 121lbs which way too lean for my frame to 160lbs post-pregnancy) I have even been 130lbs with completely different body compositions, it is wild to see me at the same weight and look so different because of my bodyfat%/muscle mass.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member
    I'm 5'7 and have been 125lbs for the most of my life. I loved how I looked. I'm pear shaped btw. I'm aiming to get back to that. I started from 165lbs and I'm 134 now. Almost there!

I have started lifting however. So I think I might get the same size that I was at a higher weight. So I'm not blindly sticking to this number. I just want my looks back (or improved).
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My thoughts on goal weights is that they are a complete waste and people obsess about some arbitrary number. Just drop weight and judge how you look and feel in the mirror rather than some arbitrary number...nobody knows what arbitrary number you are.

This is good, especially when people are pretty far from their hypothetical goal weight. No reason to obsess about it.

I do have a goal weight but it's based on where I've been previously.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    edited October 2017
    I'm 5'3 and I've been around 165 lbs before back in HS and I looked about 130. So I try not to bother with the scale, I just wanna be able to wear an XL and not have this giant tum-tum. (I carry the majority of my weight in my gut) So try not to get tied to a number. Just go what looks good on you.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    I wouldn't say it's unrealistic at all. Like other people have said, people of the same height suit different weights, and people who don't have a lot of muscle or who have small frame sizes can have lower weights without looking skeletal. Do you know your frame size?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I guess I'd have to ask WHY you'd want to be 125? It's on the lower end of normal for 5'7", but it's not unrealistic. You'll have to start losing and see when you get there.

I'm 5'11 and if someone told me I'd look my best 145ish back in 2010 I would have told them they were crazy. I would have thought that was WAY too low and completely unrealistic. Guess what? I'm currently 146 and feel pretty great. I wouldn't have ever found that out if I didn't keep losing until I was happy.

This. I'm 6ft tall. My low weight was 142.9 (BMI 19.4). Your goal is BMI 19.6, so more or less the same. My original goal was 149.0 (BMI 20.2), but I didn't like how I looked, so I made a SLOW transition to maintenance, sometimes losing .25 a week.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited October 2017
    www.mybodygallery.com ,type your info into the top bar and it will give you pics of others with same stats and you can see how different you look from them. Body comp makes a lot of difference
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    If you're focusing on aesthetics, then consider focusing on body composition along with the number on the scale. With the increase interest in progressive lifting programs many people are finding out that a muscular look is far more appealing.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Agree that there's no necessity to set an arbitrary goal, but one factor that may come into play is if that goal weight is going to require a calorie/activity level for maintenance that a person is either unable or unwilling to achieve on a regular basis.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    I think it depend son your frame and why you think you want to be 125. I'm 5'8" and, for me, that weight would be totally unrealistic. I'd have to starve myself, I'd look too thin, and I can't imagine how sucky it would be to try to maintain that. But it's your weight...as long as you're healthy.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I am a bit shorter than you and wouldn't want to weigh 125...ever...
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    It's probably not too low, but it could be too low. Time will tell on your journey.
  • postgradfitspo
    postgradfitspo Posts: 1 Member
    I am also 5’7” and for my body type 125 is too low. I’m aiming for somewhere in the 130s, currently at 158. As others have said, it totally depends on your body composition! If you get halfway there and like what you see then stay at that weight or you could get down to 125 and want to add mass. It’s all about trial and error.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member

Is this aiming too low?

It sounds like it could be too low. I've been 122 lbs. while bulking at 4' 11" and it wasn't overweight or obese due to my BF%. You may be better off setting the goal weight a bit higher and then going from there. See how you feel when you hit that goal and decrease if you deem necessary. I don't think 125 lbs. at 5' 7" would be easy to maintain.
  • amdinwid
    amdinwid Posts: 1 Member

Is this aiming too low?

I'm an inch shorter and 125 was fine for me. If you are already focusing on healthy habits then it comes down to your body. The article below gives a good visual of how different people are shaped even if the height and weight is the same.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/health-fitness/a43295/bmi-body-comparison-chart/